Archived Blog Posts
STOP, DROP and MOLD??
DID YOU KNOW?
Mold can be anywhere and everywhere. Although we may think, “mold is small”, it can easily grow and spread faster than we think. Interesting fact: Mold can produce these spores that will float in the air and spread from outdoors to indoors and vise versa.
Mold can be found from outside, inside and yes even your commercial business. Mold typically, will grow in a wet or constant damp indoor areas. This can lead to interior damage like rotten wood or damaged drywall.
If you see mold inside your commercial space, it should be taken care off immediately before it causes problems and interrupts your business. If you’re an employee report any mold finding to upper management for proper procedures. Taking care of mold as soon as it found is crucial to avoid any employees experiencing health effects which can lead to them missing work leading to less production. Also taking into mind the damages to the structure of your business might worsen with the more you prolong it.
If you develop mold in your commercial business, you can either remove it yourself, call a company to remove it or do mold remediation. Mold remediation is a process in which mold is removed but also addresses the CAUSE of the mold outbreak so that it won’t happen again.
If you hire SERVPRO Brownsville-SPI for your mold remediation, we will inspect visual spaces and even spaces that you didn’t consider. Don’t waste time if you have spotted signs of mold, call 956-747-3020 for more information!
Your floor’s forever companion is in need!
DID YOU KNOW!?
Having your home carpeted is probably one of the best feelings ever! Dealing with damages to it is a different story. The idea of a moist carpet is just awful, and if let alone could lead to mold growth. With that being said if you see the interior of your carpeted home suffer any water damages, it is crucial you seek professional water damage restoration services. (LIKE US!!)
Although not all water damages are severe to where you require outside services. For example, if you spill something small, like a glass of water, or have wet foot prints within the home; here’s a couple of steps you may want to follow:
- Extract the water: this will vary on the amount of water needed to be removed from the carpet. If excess, you may need to use a shop vac.
- Follow-up with an absorbent towel: after removing the excess water, press down with absorbent towels on the carpet. (If at this point you are struggling to remove the excess water its time to consider calling water damage professionals.
- Air dry the carpet: placing fans and dehumidifiers will help circulate the air and assist with the evaporation. (Check back on this process hourly) (if minimal water a hair drier can be used)
NOTE: in the event of a flood, it may be near impossible to salvage both the carpet and the padding underneath it. In these cases, the removal and replacing of both the carpet and padding is recommended.
- Replace the carpet padding: assure that when drying your carpet, not just the top fibers dry. The carpet padding needs to be dried completely or it could lead to mold damage which will speak quickly.
Know that when you contract SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg you are hiring a group professional. Our employees are trained and educated to be able to identify when and if your carpet can be salvaged. They are trained to know what process is necessary to restore everything back to look, “Like it never even happened.” Call us, at 956-585-3433, if you have any severe water damages within your home and your interior belonging where damages.
Go BACK TO SCHOOL with SERVPRO of East Mission & South Edinburg!!!
Go back to school with SERVPRO and with ease knowing we use top of the line equipment to take care of our cleaning services!
Did you know the flu virus can travel up to 12 feet through the air, at 100 miles per hour? That’s faster than a running cheetah, hitting a max speed at about 70-80 mph, THAT’S CRAZY! But with that being said, flu season is right around the corner along with BACK TO SCHOOL. Weather your littles ones remain taking classes from home, or go back to school it’s important to realize that we may not be able to prevent our kids being exposed to germs and viruses.
Here at SERVPRO we understand the safety of our children is #1 priority over all, so we handle our disinfection cleaning services VERY seriously. Whether you’re using this service to prevent viruses or even after a covid-19 exposure, you can count on us to handle the job 100% to the fullest.
Our disinfection services are highly requested from schools, daycares to personal homes for the same reason that it provides an assuring feeling that our children will be safe inside the building or home as well.
We work 24/7/365, viruses don’t take vacations and neither do we! Being a family-owned franchise, we understand our children’s health and our own cant be delayed. Call us! For more information on our disinfection cleaning services!!
Be Prepared for Hurricane Season with SERVPRO Brownsville-SPI
Our crew of workers, gathering up for a briefing before taking off to a job site.
Understand, preparing for a storm may come different this year due to covid 19. Although things may be looking on a brighter side, we want you to help protect yourself from getting sick or severely getting ill with covid 19. If you have not yet gotten vaccinated, and you’re interested, look into your local region for more information
Let’s go over some information you may need when preparing for hurricane season:
You want to give yourself time to be prepared:
Meaning stock up on all the good stuff from emergency disaster supplies, water, medicine supplies and food. There’s the option of home delivery for safe way of going about it. However, if that is not the option for you, if in person shopping is your only choice, remember to take precautions to protect you and others around you. Pay attention to any changes or updates in local guidelines about any evacuation plans and shelter. (Including shelters for your pets, if applicable)
If in the event, you may need to evacuate:
Be prepared with a “go kit” with personal necessities. Include items that may also protect you and others if available like germ x, Lysol wipes, Lysol, bar or liquid soap. Of course, pack your essentials from medications, a change of clothes for everyone. (Consider food and water also, in the event your relocated and have no food you’re prepared.
Our blog “sign up for weather alerts TODAY!” posted on 07/02/2021:
We provide an extensive list of weather alerts you can sign up for and stay updated on storm updates in your region. Find out where your local public shelter is and if it when needing to evacuate its open for the public, your shelter may be different this year due to covid 19.
We care for the safety of our pets as well:
with that being said have a disaster kit ready for them as well. Get more information on the disaster shelter you have chosen to see if they accept pets. Normally, when they do, they pets are housed in a differed area separate from the people.
If you will be staying with friends:
Go over any details in plans with your relative, assure that you all are on the same page. Remember to take your “go kit”. You may not need to take food or water if you are staying with a relative or clothing. That is why it is crucial to go over details with your chosen relative and know what would be needed to take. (Always remember personal/important medication/documentation for traveling).
If you under go any damages during a catastrophic event, call SERVPRO East Mission/ South Edinburg. When being the professionals in clean up and restoration we assure you an experience “Like it never even happened.”
7 fun lightning facts FOR KIDS
SERVPRO believes in the safety of your whole home! include your children when creating/discussing escape plans in the event of a catastrophic event.
FACT #1 lightning is a powerful burst of electricity that happens very quickly during a thunder storm! It is caused by an electrical charge in the atmosphere, WOAH!
That means kids the safest place to be during this time Is going to be indoors!
Fact #2 lightning can occur inside clouds, between clouds and from clouds to the ground. This last one from clouds to ground can be the most dangerous for humans!
That’s why we have to remember kids, the safest place to be during a storm is INDOORS.
Fact #3 thousand of ppl are struck every year. Lighting can even travel from person to person! That’s crazy right!
Again kids, during a storm GO INDOORS!
Fact #4 there are bolts of lightning striking somewhere on earth EVERY SECOND. Wow, that is 60 TIMES every minute!!
Fact #5 lightning contains millions of bolts of electricity (that’s some powerful stuff)!
Now remember kids, when you see a storm approaching, go inside and stay safe!
Fact #6 lighting is very hot the average temperature 36,000 degrees Fahrenheit. boiling water is 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so 36,000 degrees is HOT very HOT HOT HOT.
The last fun fact…
Fact #7 lighting can also occur during volcanic eruption, dust storms or even snow storms. It can also happen during forest fires and tornadoes.
Geez! Lightning is dangerous! Remember kids when there’s a storm or lightning go INDOORS for safety!
Avoid a Fire in Your Kitchen
SERVPRO employee deep cleaning of the kitchen interior after a fire.
An estimated 358,500 home fires occur every year. 50% of these fires start in the kitchen! In a five-year period, house fires caused $6.9 billion in property damage (NFPA). The main top three causes of fires in homes are cooking, heating equipment, and electrical malfunction (FEMA). It can take just 30 seconds for a small flame to turn into a major blaze (Department of Homeland Security). An average of 358,500 homes experiences a structural fire each year (NFPA). Every day, at least one child dies from a fire inside the home (Stanford Children’s Hospital). Its crazy to think all this is coming from a house fire, but nothing is impossible.
Let’s observe these following safety tips:
- Heaters- be sure to keep these heaters at least 3 feet away from any flammable objects, such as blankets or curtains.
- Space heaters- should be kept on tile or ceramic flooring — away from carpets or rugs. (Consider purchasing a space heater that automatically shuts off in the event it’s tipped over.)
- Be sure to extinguish the embers in a fireplace or the flame of a candle
- Install a fire alarm in every room and every floor of your home. Install a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home. Test all devices yearly and replace batteries as needed.
- If the unthinkable happens and you do find yourself in a house fire, remember:
- “Stop, drop, and roll” if your clothing is on fire.
- Crawl low to the floor and keep your airways covered.
- Touch door handles to test if they’re hot before opening the door.
- To open and use a fire extinguisher, use the following acronym: PASS
- Pull the pin
- Aim low at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle slowly
- Sweep the nozzle side to side
Home Sweet.. Business?
When you see a bright green and orange vehicle, know were working the hardest to restore your local business back to its 100% !
Water damages within your business.
When owning a small business or a franchise, regardless of the size, we care for our business the same way we would our home.
One of the most dreadful things we can deal with is water damages within your business. Weather it’s a local small business or not, you don’t want to get that call that there are water damages due to whatever reason.
Here are some pointers you might want to check out if you are a business owner and you want to prevent water damage.
- Stay up to date on weather news- you want to be able to be ahead of the storm in other words to take the necessary precautions and avoid any or severe damages.
- Sand bags- many counties provide this locally to people and businesses. Align them outside your building to prevent water coming in.
- Cover windows and doors- you don’t have to but some businesses do take an extra precaution by boarding up windows and doors. (Eliminating any broken windows from wind/debris)
- Valve shut off- know and educate your employees (if you have any) where to locate the shut off valves. If by any chance you have an unstructured business or not well insulated, by you shutting off the valves you’re avoiding a pipe to crack, freeze or bust.
- Inventory and vital paper work- keep all your paper work backed up on an electronic device for safe keeping and/or keep your paperwork in high shelves or in a secure area; where water cannot reach them in the event of a flood. (Waterproof containers work great)
- regular inspection to your business- water damage doesn’t only happen from a flood or busted pipe (from storms and heavy winds and rain)- roofs can start to leak, hot water heaters can leak, air conditioners can leak, sprinkler systems (when triggered) can cause commercial water damage for business.
If you know of someone who is experience water damages or you yourself have been curious about these problems within your business, call SERVPRO. Ranging from east mission/south Edinburg we will be by your side in the even if all you need is an inspection or cleaning/restoration service. Our lights might be off at the office but we carry our phones with us to be at your service the second you place your claim. Call now for more information on your business
3 Reasons Why You Should Trust SERVPRO
Day or NIGHT, we will get the job done!
I could sit here and type many reasons why I think customers should contact us in the event their home suffers any damage from a catastrophic event. But instead of that I’m going to cut it short and give you the top 3 main reasons!
- Locally family owned – there’s some sort of rest assuring feeling when you know the ones handling your home restorations. We understand the importance of coming home to a safe home. At SERVPRO Mission, we feel confident in saying you’d be getting an experience “Like it never even happened."
- 100% Corporate Support- no franchise is left behind! Although each franchise has its own independence, we have the TOTAL and complete support of our corporate family. If a disaster strikes a particular area, the local SERVPRO has access to corporate resources. If ever the need, extra equipment and help can be there in no time to assist with the increased demand for remediation.
- Certified- rest assure not letting just anyone into your home or business when you trust SERVPRO as your remediation and or restoration company. Our technicians are certified in various categories listed below:
- Water damage restoration
- Applied microbial remediation
- Applied structural drying
- Carpet cleaning
- Health and safety equivalent
- Fire and smoke restoration
- Commercial drying specialist
- Upholstery and fabric cleaning
- Carpet repair and reinstallation
- Odor control
- Trauma and crime scene
- Journeyman textile cleaner
- Master water restorer
- Master fire and smoke restorer
Phew, that took a moment! But isn’t that great!? Leave the job to the professions, well handle all the heavy work to claims with your insurance. You only have to make the call!! SERVPRO will be available 24/7/365 to help you get your home back!!
BUSINESSES AND WATER DAMAGE
SERVPRO helping our local businesses 24/7!
Although we talk a lot about our customers homes, their water damages, how common they are and how to prevent them, we can’t ignore the fact that business’s also encounter damages within their buildings and/or offices. After doing some research, we learned that the American Housing Survey of the U.S. Census showed that out of 100 representatives of US office buildings, 85% of these are past water damage while 45% are experiencing current leaks. Financially as a business owner, its important to maintain the stability of your building.
Here are some major causes of water damage we want to provide as a key guide for owners to follow and assure there are no water damages that may lead to crucial damages in the future
- Damaged sprinkler system- the law requires for all commercial entities, incase of a fire, to have a sprinkler system, along with a fire alarm. After some time, sprinklers may get broken or begin to malfunction. This becomes dangerous, for you the owner, because if the sprinklers malfunction and go off on their own, without a fire, can lead to an unexpected flood.
- Roof leaks- take into mind that your roof is what gets all the weather impacts. From too much sun, hail, and rain and a leaky roof can lead to water damage.
- Broken HVAC System- an HVAC system that aren’t cleaned and/or maintained regularly can cause water damage from the excess water in the compression tanks.
- Broken equipment and appliances- worst-case scenario for this example is when no one notices a leaking appliance, or during off hours something breaks leading to unpredicted results
- Damaged windows- here’s another common cause for commercial buildings. Rain water and moisture can seep through especially if the windows are not properly maintained and need re-caulking. Although this might not lead to immediate flooding, it can do great damage to your drywall and encourage mold growth.
- Natural disaster- the number one most feared. Mother nature can impact the strongest and cost us the most.
We can’t get rid of the obvious, but we can familiarize ourselves with the common causes to help minimize the risk and damage.
Basement + Water Damage = ?
Save time and money, skip the traditional way and call SERVPRO. We’ll keep all salvaged items in a stored and safe facility.
What to do when you find water damage in your basement.
First things first. Turn off the power and unplug any electrical appliances. Take some time after this to be able to collect any salvaged items- prioritize your important documents, valuable items and electronics. Throw away anything that can no longer be of us. Note: at SERVPRO we have professionals who can identify whether any of your items are unsalvageable.
Next step, begin to remove water from your basement. You can go the traditional way, by using buckets and towels or choose SERVPRO to help. We use various methods the help you in the most efficient and productive way. From using pumps to bringing in as many dehumidifiers as needed. Note: the faster we begin this process, there is a higher possibility of avoiding mold growth.
Rain in The Valley
Rain or shine, you can always count on SERVPRO 24/7/365 to assist you in your time of need !
The one time we need to be extra cautions, when it comes to rain, is when its won’t stop raining. Born and raised in the valley, I believe we can all agree we tend to experience prolonged and heavy rainfall the most.
Prolonged rainfall is basically continuous rain. Take note, after a long period of rainfall the ground will become saturated and won’t absorb water anymore. Once the ground reaches this point, this tends to lead to a rapid increase surface runoff.
Now when we mention heavy rainfall, we think “well isn’t that the same thing?” In a way yes, with one major exception. Prolonged rainfall will take longer to end up in flood as for heavy rainfalls can fall so rapidly creating a flash flood.
we’ve already began to see more rain, especially this week, in the valley. Being knowledgeable of the rain we’ve been experience can have us prepared on what to except. With us being mid hurricane season its also a good time to go over your insurance coverage. Make sure you’re covered for water damage and flooding or take necessary action to add these to your plan! Be prepared and stay safe, with SERVPRO by your side.
After Fire Mode: Activated
Here's a close look at our storage after all clothes have been washed, dried and iron. We store everything accordingly to the home it came from.
One of the most interesting thigs I found within the SERVPRO franchise was the textiles department.
Let’s break it down!
SERVPRO works 1x1 with your insurance to help give you the most and best restoration that you’re entitled to. We go into depths of cleaning out the house/business after the fire and sanitizing your home.
Need repairs? We got you covered.
“But what about my smoke penetrated clothes or sofas!?” WE GOT YOU COVERED!!
I cannot stress how thorough our workers go into making your textiles look like they never even underwent a fire! Crazy, right?
Let’s break it down even more (this is the fun part)
After we clean out your home/business we have our professionals what is salvageable from the items we brought back. (These textiles i.e., could be your tv, clothes, shoes, appliances, couches, refrigerator… etc.) whatever is determines is unsalvageable (example a hole in your shirt) we place these items separately for your insurance can reimburse you for the items.
We label everything making sure we know whose home it came from and what room it should go back in when we take everything cleaned and restored. From polishing your work boots, to hipping down the play kitchen set your kids had in their room. We go into so much details we make sure to go through every wash tag on the clothes and if any is non washer safe, we go ahead and send them to a cleaner. We iron and bag every single item.
Once the job is done
- all furniture has been polished
- clothes washed, dried and ironed
- shoes cleaned whipped down (buffed if needed)
- dry cleaners have been picked up (if applicable)
- dishes, appliances, equipment removed from the home cleaned polished and disinfected.
We follow the labels with the name of the customer head to the home and start putting everything back the way it was BEFORE the fire. Count on walking back in to your home and getting a sense of “Like it never even happened.”
Note: check with your insurance company to assure if your belongings are covered in the event of a fire besides your home, and add it to your plan. If you find yourself in such scenario, you won’t regret having this add on.
Fire Safety for Kids!
Call us today, (956) 585-3433, for your FREE quote!
Although the thought of our children going back to school might be lingering in the air, that may not be quite the scenario just yet. With summer school ending in most school, at this point in the summer, we all have our homes busy with the little pitter patters of our little ones. Take a moment during this down time you have and go over some safety tips with them! Give yourself the peace of mind knowing they know what steps, and directions, to follow in the event of a FIRE!
First things first, you want to have an escape plan ready. Its important to provide and easy escape route for children, for they sometimes need help in getting out of the house. They may not know what to do, or how to, unless an adult shows them so.
- Have a plan ready for children who cannot go outside by themselves. In this scenario, if you have younger children or babies who can’t exit without the actual help of someone, talk to one another to know who will help each child to safety.
- Its important to have 2 ways out of each room in your home, in the event one exit is blocked or not safe to exit from.
- Have a meeting place outside your home. Kids should know what to do when they hear a smoke alarm and they are alone. Help them practice going to the meeting place, and discuss the importance of never going back inside a building, that is on fire.
We don’t want to think of our children being put through such scenario, but unfortunately the possibilities aren’t zero. For the safety of our kids, (peace of mind to us, the parents) its always better to be extra prepared!!
In the event your home suffers from any fire damage, call SERVPRO (insert franchise) .At SERVPRO, we understand family means everything. When you’re a family-owned franchise you want to be able to provide this feeling of safety and peace of mind. We are here to help you! To help restore your home, and RESTORE you that feeling of safety back! When we provide 24/7/365 service, it isn’t hard to do either!!
5 easy ways to be prepared for storm season!
If your home suffers any damage due to a catastrophic event don’t hesitate in calling, SERVPRO McAllen, at (956) 631-0348 for your free quote!!
We may not experience many hurricanes or tropical storms, but we want to have all the necessary tools to be prepared for such scenario, when we do. And hey, sometimes, storms don’t have to mean hurricanes or tornado watches!! Constant rain, after a long period of time, may lead to floods or damage to your home, if it wasn’t ready for such impact.
Let’s jump right into the good stuff on, “How to Prepare Your Home for Storm Season”!
- Trim your trees: one of the most common ways a house suffers from damage is from fallen tree branches and/or limbs. While it may seem impossible to know which tree mother nature which choose to knock off her path, inspect those trees around your property and trim any necessary branches.
- Clean out gutters and check your roof: When your gutters aren’t cleared out regularly, you’re taking the risk that rain water will be backed up and end up pouring through the sides of the house, or even make its way to your roof line. Clearing out this task before a storm, might just save you damages and money beyond compare.
- Emergency kit ready: these can literally be a life saver if, in the event, you lose power during a storm.
Check list of items you may want to keep in your kit:
- Battery operated flashlights/headlights
- Battery operated radio
- Emergency cash
- First aid kit (from Band-Aids, pain killers, alcohol to gauze) be prepared
- Medications (for this scenario if you’re taking any daily crucial medications consider storing some in your kit just remember expiration wise when u stored them in the even u don’t use them you will need to swap them for a recent up to date dose)
- 3-day supply of food and water (same for food with shelf life, check the dates on your cans to assure if not used within their time frame they are replaced)
- Generator: this might just be your best investment in the event you live in an area prone to storms.
- Evacuation Plan: worst case scenarios can happen and you may be asked to evacuate your home. Familiarize your self w the different evacuation routes in your city. Also, keep close to you a list of family members and numbers where you may seek shelter. (Maybe having a listing nearby hotels in the event family isn’t an option for whatever reason)
Water Mitigation vs Water Extraction
Choose SERVPRO, as your local experts available 24/7 for any home restorations!
Many people may confuse these 2 but the main difference to these 2 are quite simple. To clarify, water mitigation comes after water extraction.
Water extraction take place, first for the following reasons
- Stopping the source of excessive water: we want to identify all safety hazards (check electricity and sockets)
- Draining water: will include disinfection and sanitation if necessary to remove foul odors
- Removing non visible water
- Drying grounds: depending on the severeness of damage we offer different procedures and equipment, for extraction. From pumps to remove water (for carpets as well)
- Dehumidifying the house or specific area
Water mitigation would be a different process in which your personal items within the building are determined unsalvageable, by experts, and removed. This could be like your furniture, flooring and even the drywall. Experts will clean the entire area, at the same time, sanitize it!
Sign up for weather alerts TODAY!
In the event you suffer any damage to your home during a catastrophe event call the ones you can count on 24/7, SERVPRO mission will be there!
We have been having more and more storms through out this summer, in the valley, and with that being said we always want to be prepared and safe. Let’s dive right into the good stuff, these following weather alerts can be the difference between being stuck in a thunderstorm, for example while driving, as per getting to safety with enough time.
Here are 6 weather alerts you might want to check out!
Commercial Mobile Alerts(CMAS) or Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) is the simplest way for you to register for local weather text alerts. These alerts are sent by the national weather service. Go to your mobile phone’s SMS setting and simply search WEA or CMAS. You can also register by dialing ##2677## NOTE: Your phone must be enabled to be able to receive these alerts.
Emergency Broadcasts are by default enabled on all new android phones. If you think that the alerts aren’t enabled, simply go to your
Settings > Emergency Alerts.
Here you’ll be able to see all kinds of different alerts and you can decide to turn specific ones depending on your region or situation.
Emergency Mass Notification System is a great way to enroll with your EMPLOYER who uses a multi channer emergency mass notification system such as RedFlag. This business software will allow a company to send emergency/crisis alerts and internal notifications to employees, vendors, and stakeholders whenever there’s a weather-related emergency in your region via text, email. Social, voice or any other communication channel.
The weather channel app is also one of the easiest ways for you to stay up to date with your region. With your location being inputted in the app no matter where you go, feel safe as the weather channel updates you on any warnings. Apart from severe weather warnings, it even sends out alerts for less-severe weather i.e fog and freeze. You may also get alerts about nearby lightning strikes, which can help you decide whether to stay outdoors or indoors.
weatherUSA Alerts sends out alerts whenever these alerts are sent from a federal agency including the national weather service. They sent out real time alerts whenever there’s a weather-related warning in your area. You can choose to receive these alerts via SMS or email, and also add your county. They also provide a “quiet time” option silencing all and any alerts. NOTE: premium memberships have the option to receive voice call alerts on your photo
Weather Radio is one of the best apps out there for receiving alerts on your phone. This app will read your alert out loud to you. This can come in handy if you spend yourself on the road a lot. You can also select what alerts you want to receive. NOTE: this app requires a subscription fee of $4.99 and additional lightning strike data can also be added for a yearly fee of 4.99
SERVPRO, Ready Plan App Available NOW!
Look for the green and orange icon, THAT'S US!
Check it out! We have an app called, Ready Plan! We offer this for any home and/or business owners so they can be ahead of the game in the event of a disaster. We all know disasters can be overwhelmingly devastating, but it’s always a relief to know you have a plan and someone to count on in this event. SERVPRO!
PERKS of downloading our app
- We provide a free assessment of your facility, (look at that instant budget save!)
- Build a profile document in seconds where you will be provided with critical information you will need in the event of a disaster.
- A detailed guide to help you get back into your home or business after a disaster.
- Set your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration.
- The app will also provide you details in case of a disaster on immediate actions you can take for example shut off valve’s locations, priority areas and contact information (which will have you prepared and ready before a disaster)
Think about how all the information within our app, can help you and your business! With some of the tips we offer, you may even be avoiding any actual damage to your property! Also feel relieved, knowing we would be there by your side in the event anything does go wrong. Offering services 24/7, this app will lead you directly to the professionals and have you saving more than you ever imagined!
Downloading SERVPRO, Ready Plan has never been easier follow with these easy steps!
- Visit SERVPRO.com/ready and in seconds register for an account, using your email address as your username and choose a password. (save your password and email you’ll need to have this information close by for later)
- Choose your local SERVPRO Franchise representative to contact in the event your home or business experiences fire, mold, water or other type of damage.
- Begin creating an Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) for your property (you will also have the ability to add more than 1 property or business if that’s the scenario)
- Go to your app store and download the SERVPRO, Ready Plan application on your tablet, blackberry, android or iPhone.
- Log in using the email and password you created for your account back in step 1
And that’s it, it’s that simple! You’re now in and able to browse through all the above-mentioned features! Stay safe and welcome to the family!
After the Storm
Count on us, rain or shine, 24/7, to be at your service in your time of need!
After a big storm we might not notice any internal damages to our home or business. Being aware of the signs pointing you to water damage can help you, as the owner, identify a problem before it’s too late, and reach out to experts.
These are some signs you want look out for:
Unpleasant, musky odors. Water leads to mold and mildew growth, and as the water evaporates and leaves the bacteria behind, a musty odor can develop. A lot of times, this odor is the first thing that homeowners notice when they are experiencing water damage.
Flaking paint on masonry or walls. Water damage can sometimes be temporarily hidden with paint, which is what a lot of home and business owners tend to do. While this may temporarily “solve” the problem, it is not a long-term solution you want to stick too.
NOTE: Water will always find its way in if there is an underlying problem, which can lead to issues with paint over time such as cracks, flakes and chips.
Foundational cracks. As temperatures changes and the ground shifts and settles, it is normal for hairline cracks to develop throughout the home’s foundation. But, any cracks you see larger than a hairline should be immediately examined.
NOTE: Cracks that occur on the ceiling, walls or floor are often signs that water damage is occurring somewhere within the home and leading to damages.
If you notice any of these signs in your home or business, call SERVPRO. Our expert water restoration technicians, available 24/7, can help you determine what is causing these issues and how to treat it properly. Contact us today to learn more
SERVPRO Storm Tips
Our employee getting ready to tackle on a job on cite after a heavy storm.
One of the biggest disadvantageous things that can happen to you this summer, is having severe water damage and flooding in your home. From dealing with a broken pipe or a more serious issue, like sewer backup or a flooded basement, they can all lead to bigger complications.
Its import to act fast in the event you are experiencing any water damage. With just a small amount, of water within 24 hours, mold starts forming.
Your first priority is going to be to stop any leakage you have or whatever the source of the problem is. Once you have stopped it from causing any more damage, you may need to contact a professional to start taking the proper water damage restoration steps to repair and restore your home back to normal and prevent additional damage.
Water damage may also result in all sorts of safety hazards and structural problems that you may not even notice until it’s too late. SERVPRO can help in all of these scenarios we work round clock 24/7 to be able to help you and your home “Like it never even happened.” We assure a thorough clean and restore the damage so you may be able to return to your home sweet home!
Stay safe this independence weekend and know how to do so by following these tips!
From our SERVPRO family to yours, we want to thank all of our veterans and wish everyone a happy and safe weekend.
We experience about 18,500 fires a year. Most of these fires are reported on 4th of July than any other day of the year. Although we are ready to have fun we also have to remember to stay safe at all times.
Here are some easy and important tips you can follow to help protect your home from a fire.
- Clean gutters- Don’t forget your roof! Your summer cleaning should include a little maintenance time to your roof top. By doing this, you are playing it safe and removing any kind of debris that could be used as fuel for a fire.
- Put a sprinkler in the front and back- Keep your lawn moist! You want to prevent a spark or even a falling (but still lit firework on your yard.
- Remove dry brush from your home and surroundings- People often don’t think of this one, as we may keep up with our daily yard cleaning, but always take a double look outside for any bark, branches or twigs. Even if you are not planning on having fireworks this year in your home, falling fireworks may still land lit and can lead to an unexpected fire.
- Trim Trees- Removing any hanging or excess branches will help prevent any trees getting lit by a fly away spark or firework.
In the event you do encounter a fire, call SERVPRO! We are here to provide you with 24/7 clean up and restoration services, you can get in contact with us for a free estimate! "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO is One Team
When the south-central region of the United States endured below-freezing temperatures for multiple consecutive days, they turned to one brand to help restore their homes and businesses that were affected by burst pipes and water damage: SERVPRO. As the temperatures dropped, the number of customers affected by flooding caused burst pipes to quickly increase. By the end of the week, tens of thousands of home and business owners were calling SERVPRO to mitigate the damage. There’s a reason why during the most historic cold snap in 70 years, residents of the south-central and southwestern part of the United States called SERVPRO. In fact, there are about 1700. These 1700 reasons show up in the form of franchises and crews that have left their home states, some for extended periods of time, to travel with their equipment and assist local franchises in the restoration of these homes and businesses that suffered water damage. The amazing thing about choosing SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg is that our customers don’t just get access to one restoration company, but they partner with a trusted name in the restoration industry that has access to a network of franchises that are willing to come and assist in historic events such as the one we as a region experienced in February of 2021. So no matter if it’s hurricanes or freezes, SERVPRO is always ready to unite forces to help a region restore its communities, living true to the tagline: One Team.
Holiday Fire Facts
The holidays are one of the most wonderful times of the year! Are we right?! There is nothing better than putting up those Holiday lights and having the home feel warm and cozy. Not to be forgotten the rides at night to see all the homes dressed up with holiday lights! No matter what type of decorations we hang up during the holidays, we’re surrounded by electricity! If we aren’t careful, it can be a huge hazard if not used or maintained properly. According to the National Fire Protection Association (www.nfpa.org), Holiday fires caused an average of three deaths, 15 injuries, and $10 million in direct property damage annually. On average, one of every 52 reported home fires that began with a Christmas tree resulted in a death, compared to an average of one death per 135 total reported home fires. SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg wants to help keep you safe during this Holiday season, with the help of the NPFA, we’ve pulled together some safety tips for you to keep in mind! Electrical Fire Safety Tips
- Make sure that there are smoke detectors installed on every floor of the building, inside each room and right outside of every sleeping area to ensure that the alarms can be heard even when sleeping.
- Test smoke detectors monthly to make sure that they’re working properly and have working batteries.
- Have your electrical system inspected by a certified professional to make sure that all of the electrical work meets the National Electric Code safety standards.
- Look and listen for signs of electrical problems such as, flickering or dim lights, buzzing or sizzling sounds from electrical outlets, or insulation and circuit breakers that trip repeatedly. If any of these or any other electrical problems are found, contact a professional as soon as possible for the issue to be inspected.
- Avoid overloading outlets with too many electronics. Consider having more outlets or circuits installed by a professional.
- In homes with children, install tamper-resistant devices to keep children from getting electrical shocks or burns.
- Create an evacuation plan that can be used in the event of a fire.
Our team understands that there is nothing worse than being out of the home for the holidays. We know this time of year is filled with traditions and creating memories. Make sure to follow all the tips we’ve complied together but also if an emergency occurs inside your home or business, know that SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg is ready to help you get back to your holiday traditions!
An Overview of Our Fire Restoration Process
We can make Fire damage "Like it never even happened."
When a fire ignites in a home or business, SERVPRO is prepared to help make the fire “Like it never even happened,” by employing our 7-step fire restoration process. We’ve seen firsthand the effects that fires can have on properties as well as the lives of the people who live or work in them. It is of the utmost importance to us that we help our customers pick up the pieces and return to business as usual as soon as possible. Fires can be accompanied by distress and chaos, but by calling SERVPRO and trusting our thorough, 7-step method for restoring fire damage, you can relax. To learn more about each step of our fire restoration process, keep reading. It begins with your phone call.
- Emergency Contact
All it takes is one phone call to begin fire damage restoration services for your home or business. Make SERVPRO your first call after the fire has been extinguished so that we can design a plan of action tailored to your property’s specific needs. With this information in mind, we will make sure that we arrive on the site quickly, outfitted with the resources and equipment suitable for your home or business.
- Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
Upon arrival, our experienced fire damage team will examine your property in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the scope of the damage. When our team of fire damage experts arrives on the scene, they will survey the extent of the property’s fire damage. Depending on the scope of the fire, smoke, and soot loss, we will craft the most effective restoration plan for your home or business.
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Services
As a result of a fire, roofs, windows, and doors can undergo damage, which can compromise other areas of the property, leaving them susceptible to additional damage. Therefore, our team will place boards and tarps overexposed areas in order to further protect your home or business.
- Water Removal and Drying
Water damage can be the product of the process of extinguishing the fire with water. If your property has experienced this type of water damage, our team will make sure to thoroughly remove all of the water present. First, we will tackle standing water. Then, we will use dehumidifiers and air movers to get rid of the remaining water. Both of these actions will guarantee that your home or business will be thoroughly dried.
- Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
After a fire, there is often smoke and soot residue present on various surfaces, such as ceilings and walls. This step in our fire restoration process involves removing all traces of smoke and soot, which we accomplish with our specialized equipment.
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
Following the removal of smoke and soot, our focus is cleaning and sanitizing objects that have survived the fire. For every item that we can salvage, we will use our wide array of cleaning techniques to clean, sanitize, and disinfect them. We will also utilize our fogging equipment and industrial scrubbers to get rid of odors. Above all, we aim to provide your home or business with an exceptional clean.
The culminating step in our fire restoration process is completing any repair work necessary to restore your home or business to its condition before the fire. This work can range from minor repairs to major repairs. Minor repairs often entail anything from installing new carpet to replacing drywall or giving a room a fresh coat of paint. As for major repairs, we may rebuild or restore particular rooms or areas of the home or business that have been significantly damaged. In the end, we will have your property looking as good as new.
In Need of Fire Damage Restoration? We’re Only a Call Away
After a devastating fire, you need a team that you can trust to quickly and efficiently restore your home or business for a speedy return to normalcy. Remember that SERVPRO is ready to help and only one, quick call away. A fire can be stressful, regardless of whether it occurs in your home or your business. Our 7-step fire restoration process will ensure that every aspect of restoring your property is followed through completely. If your home or business has experienced a fire, be sure to call SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg today at (956) 585-3499.
Running Towards the Storm
Have you ever experienced the eerie, strange feeling when you’re coasting down the highway, the sole person driving southbound out of all four lanes, but on the northbound side, you see cars sitting bumper to bumper and wonder, “What did I just miss?”
Here at SERVPRO, that feeling arises often, but we don’t necessarily consider it eerie. It’s just what we do. Floods, hurricanes, wildfires, and natural disasters propel us toward the storm while everyone else is leaving town, and we arrive prepared to get right to work.
Is this easy? Absolutely not. Easy will never be an adjective used to describe our storm response work. However, is it worth it? Yes, in every aspect of the word.
Just last year, we were able to help businesses and homes in the RGV After the Hurricane Hannah storm hit.
Our Vision Statement here at Team SERVPRO is “Restore peace of mind to EVERY customer. EVERY day.” We keep this in mind every day at home, but it takes on a whole new meaning when we’re racing toward storms, getting ready to help people in need. Mother Nature, a force that’s completely out of anyone’s control, has the power to change lives overnight. Our experienced team members are sent to support those affected throughout each step of the restoration process. Every step, whether it’s demolition, drying, rebuild, or even insurance coverage and approvals, brings new challenges. Our job is to be the advocate and facilitator for our customers while they work through a life-altering event and it’s what we love to do.
Raw Sewage after a flood in your Home or Business? We are Here to Help
How Does SERVPRO Deal with Raw Sewage in Flood Situations?
Raw sewage is a particularly distressing side effect of flooding in your home. If you are looking for water companies near you, be sure to choose one like SERVPRO with the experience to handle raw sewage:
- We act quickly because the longer we leave contaminated water, the greater the health risk.
- We equip all our technicians with all the personal protective equipment they need to handle a raw sewage situation. This includes waders, long rubber gloves, aprons, full bodysuits, and ventilators.
- We quickly dispose of all contaminated building materials, rugs, drapes, and furniture, to decontaminate your home.
- We offer full health and safety training to all our staff.
When your home is dry and decontaminated, we deodorize it. We use activated carbon filters, HEPA filters, air scrubbers, and specially formulated pellets to remove odors from your home and leave it "Like it never even happened."
If you are thinking of water companies near you, think of SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg. We are on hand to deal with any flood or contamination situation you may face. Call us at (956) 585-3499.
Business and Personal Preparedness
Business Preparedness: why and how you should prepare; and personal preparedness: how to pack your Go Bag and sheltering in place.
Up to 50% of businesses never reopen after being affected by a natural or human-made disaster. Despite this statistic, 62% of businesses don’t have an emergency plan in place! Your customers expect delivery of their products or services on time, regardless of your situation. And larger businesses want to insure that their supply chain is not interrupted by a disaster either. Insurance is only a partial solution. It does not cover all losses and it will NOT replace customers. News travels fast and perceptions often differ from reality. It is up to you to plan now for a disaster to avoid some of these pitfalls. Many risks cannot be insured, but some risks can be reduced by investing in loss prevention programs, protection systems, and equipment.
According to FEMA’s Business Program Management,” A preparedness policy that is consistent with the mission and vision of the business should be written and disseminated by management. The policy should define roles and responsibilities. It should authorize selected employees to develop the program and keep it current. The policy should also define the goals and objectives of the program. Typical goals of the preparedness program include:
- Protect the safety of employees, visitors, contractors and others at risk from hazards at the facility. Plan for persons with disabilities and functional needs.
- Maintain customer service by minimizing interruptions or disruptions of business operations
- Protect facilities, physical assets and electronic information
- Prevent environmental contamination
- Protect the organization’s brand, image and reputation
Water Damage? Here's What to Do.
When water damage occurs, do you know what to do and what not to do?
Water damage can happen at any point for anyone, home or business, resulting in damaged property. These do's are only for clean water and do not’s pertain to sewage water. Sewage water is treated differently since it causes different damage and requires a different cleanup process. With the right tools and pieces of equipment, our professionals can safely dry out your home or business and the contents within it. Here are some things to always keep in mind.
- To minimize the damage, make sure to shut off the source of water and turn off the electricity. It is essential to remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and soaking up with towels. This is especially important for wood furniture.
- To ensure that more damage isn't sustained by the furniture make sure to try and move it, if safe to do so.
- Make sure to NOT enter a room with standing water since there could be a risk of electrical shock.
- Make sure to disconnect all power first.
- It is recommended to NOT leave rugs and furniture upholstery wet against one another because the fabrics have the potential to bleed between each other.
- It is important to note that you should not be utilizing your household vacuum to try and suck up any water.
If these tips are followed, then damage can be minimized and you will be better prepared for help to arrive. Remember to stay safe and get excess water cleaned up professionally to minimize the chance of mold growth. Our Team at SERVPRO of McAllen is ready to assist at a moment's notice with any of your water mitigation emergencies. Give our team a call at 956-631-0348
How We Restore Fire Damaged Belongings
SERVPRO Before and After Fire Restoration Services
When mother nature strikes on your home, ensuring the safety of your personal belongings is always a priority in the remediation process after the damage has been done. Here is some basic knowledge on what items and areas can be saved in a fire.
Doorways and windows
When the remediation process begins, these areas are typically the most simple to restore because all that is needed is a dry sponge and some patented SERVPRO cleaning detergent to remove any soot or stains that may have been made.
House hold items such as tables or silverware
This is very similar to the previous section in that these items are easy to restore. With needing SERVPRO cleaning detergent and a dry cloth to wipe off any soot
What To Do And Not To Do When Your Home Floods
When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals respond immediately and use advanced equipment and techniques to remove the water quickly. They closely monitor and document the drying process to verify your property is dried properly and thoroughly.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Quotes From Real SERVPRO Of East Mission & South Edinburg Customers
Always Here to Help!
Dealing with any kind of property damage is extremely stressful, especially when mold is involved. At SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg we understand just how difficult every job we arrive at can be for our customers, so we strive to make the process as easy and stress free as possible. Our number one goal is to please our customers, no matter what the job is. Here are some quotes from real customers about the service they received from SERVPRO:
"SERVPRO were professional, timely, and met all our expectations. I have been involved with 8 church projects for construction, repair, and cleanup. SERVPRO was the best."
"I found SERVPRO to be an excellent company when we discovered some recent water damage and needed some mold remediation. They were very thorough and efficient in their work, and they kept me informed of what they were doing and the progress of the project. Shannon was great to work with and I would strongly recommend him and his company."
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg has been working hard for years to provide the best service we can and will continue to put our very best foot forward. If you are in need of any of our services, call us at (956) 585-3433 ! We can make you losses seem "Like it never even happened".
A COVID-19 Defensive Cleaning Program - Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Sticker Placed On Local Business
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg is here to help get you back to business!
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and healthy is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new, higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the bio-storm of COVID-19. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Why Use SERVPRO? Here's Your Answer!
In most major cities such as ours, there are a few major restoration companies to choose from. So I guess the question is, why use SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg? The answer is very simple.
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg has taken the time and dedication to help their community in times of need. Being on time and communicating with our customers is key in building a quality relationship, even if that relationship is created out of something negative such as water, fire and mold damages. Listening to our customers intently about their situation, then making sure we proceed accordingly based on what the customers desires require, is something we also pride ourselves on. In times of crisis, people turn to each other for help and comfort. This is a mandate that all of us here at SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg follow at work and in our regular lives.
Spring Home Allergies Can Be Annoying, Here Are Some Tips To Reduce That
Spring Cleaning, Keeps Those Allergies At Bay
Allergies Are No Fun!
Weather is getting warmer and spring will be here before you know it. Spring cleaning is essential in as weather warms because there are higher amounts of pollen in the air, contributing to your allergies.
Check out our tips to reduce the allergens that find their way into your home!
- Vacuum frequently, and make sure to use a HEPA filter to trap and lock away allergens.
- Throw out unnecessary clutter, so dust cannot hide.
- Try wearing a mask while you clean, so you don’t breathe in the germs you want to get rid of!
- Check water pipes for leaks and the potential for mold.
- Don’t wash with fragrance detergents, as they may trigger your allergies.
- Use your AC instead of opening your windows, to keep allergens out.
For Your Home's Deep Cleaning, Call SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg!
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after damaging event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility for regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. SERVPRO wants our team to be part of your team! Call us at (956) 585-3433 or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
When Your Water Heater Breaks, Here Are Some Steps You Can Take!
Broken Water Heater? Follow These Steps!
A broken water heater is a nasty surprise, especially if you’re in the middle of a shower. If yours starts making unusual noises or stops working completely, take these steps immediately to minimize the impact on your home.
Turn off the power supply - For a gas water heater, look for a dial on the top of the thermostat. For an electric water heater, turn the circuit breaker off water heater
Turn off the water supply - Turn the water valve clockwise (“righty tight”) until it stops. It’s very important to turn off the supply of water to the heater. If you can’t turn the valve to the heater, you’ll have to turn off the water supply to the house.
Drain the water heater - Find the drain valve at the bottom of the water tank and attach a hose to it. Run the other end of the hose to a lower area where dirty water can safely drain, such as a basement drain. Open the drain valve, using a screwdriver if necessary.
Open the pressure relief valve - Flip the valve on to keep a vacuum from forming while the water is draining. Caution – the water may be very hot.
Rinse the water heater with cold water - Once the water heater has been completely drained, rinse it with cold water to flush out any remaining sediments.
If your water heater breaks and leaks water everywhere in your home or business in McAllen, TX and surrounding area, call the experts at SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg. Their certified, licensed, and insured professionals are specially trained in water damage restoration. Using non-invasive moisture detection probes and sensors, they will determine the extent of the damage, and then develop a comprehensive water damage restoration plan. From water extraction and drying to repairing drywall and cabinets, they can return your home or business to its preloss condition.
The costs to repair a water heater vary, depending on location and market competition. It is estimated the national average is $509.00.
Information You Should Have To Handle Commercial Property Losses
There is no such thing as a disaster-proof property. Nor is there a perfect, all-encompassing disaster plan for Texas. Our unique location puts us in the path of tornadoes, hurricanes or floods.
Still, a vigilant property manager can mitigate the impact of these unforeseen disasters with some careful preparation. Here are seven things you should do to be prepared for a disaster and its aftermath:
1) Have an Emergency Action Plan in Place
An effective plan will enable your tenants to vacate the property quickly and calmly, as well as gather at a safe distance from the building. Make sure your exits are clearly marked, unobstructed, and known to all. OSHA provides a great tool for developing an Emergency Action Plan for your property that encompasses virtually any scenario.
2) Know Your Tenants
Do you have tenants with special needs such as those who are visually, hearing, or mobility impaired? Are there small children (apartment complexes, daycares, etc.) that may require extra assistance/attention? What about those with respiratory issues? All of these conditions can impact how you implement your Emergency Action Plan.
3) Keep Your Contact Information Relevant
Make sure your employees and tenants provide you with the latest contact information. If someone is unaccounted for, being able to provide current and correct contact information will assist in any search. Also, make sure your insurance agent’s information is up-to-date, as well as your security personnel, the property owner. Make sure that everyone has your information as well.
4) Have an EAP for Your Data
Do you store sensitive documents on-site? If so, then keep originals and irreplaceable documents in fire-proof cabinets or safes.
How often do you move these to an off-site storage facility? If you aren’t using a cloud service, you should definitely look into an off-site storage location for tape and disk backups. Most banks offer a safety deposit box, which is a great place to store sensitive data. Go over your options with your IT professional.
5) Be Prepared for Insurance Claims
The easiest way to visualize and list assets on a commercial property is to film them. A simple walk-through with a high-definition camera – no need for Oscar-level cinematography here – pointing out large-ticket items like HVAC units, IT equipment, the condition of the roof, the foundation, doors and windows will make claims settlements that much easier in the event of a disaster.
Additionally, you’ll want to meet with your insurance agent to review your policy to make sure there haven’t been any changes to your coverage, or that your property is left exposed to a specific kind of disaster. FEMA provides a great PDF on property documentation here.
6) Consider The Aftermath
This is where things can get expensive. You’ve seen the roofers with ladders on their trucks canvassing your neighborhood after a storm. The same thing happens with commercial properties.
Be careful when employing a company to handle your repairs after a disaster. Ask if they are bonded and insured, as is the case with SERVPRO of East Mission an South Edinburg, and make sure to consult your insurance provider as well — they may only work with a select group of service providers. Ask other questions like: What sort of warranties do they offer? How long have they been in business? What seems like a good deal now may cost you a fortune later.
With SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg, you can rest assured that all the above criteria are met. No job is too small or too big in our point of view. Our attention to detail and customer satisfaction are our main priority!
Things You Should Know About Mold And Its Effects
Mold Present in Property
If you're a business or property owner in Mission or Edinburg, TX, you're probably concerned about the possibility of finding mold growth in your building, especially the more harmful types such as black mold. Happily, there are several ways to keep mold from being a problem. In the following article, we'll talk about what mold is, how to prevent it, and what's involved in a mold cleanup.
What is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that propagates through airborne spores. Mold is everywhere, and can be found indoors and outdoors. It thrives anywhere that there is a moist environment. It can enter a building in several ways, including:
- HVAC Systems
- Air Conditioners
- Attached to:
o Boots and Shoes
Common types of mold include stachybotrys chartarum, or black mold, trichoderma, a mold usually found in damp carpeting or wallpaper, and aspergillus, which is found in air conditioners and on food.
Preventing Mold Damage
To prevent mold damage in your building, it's important to eliminate any possibility of a moisture problem. If there is a high degree of humidity present, try to use a dehumidifier or an air conditioner to bring it down. Making sure that the building is well ventilated also goes a long way towards keeping the mold out. Plumbing and roofing should also be inspected to ensure that no leaks are present, and any vents should be vented to the outside.
Consult with a Professional
If you've encountered a mold problem in your building, it's important to have it taken care of by a professional mold remediation company, especially when dealing with a more toxic type such as black mold. These professionals are equipped to do a thorough mold cleanup, which involves removing the source of moisture, cleaning and disinfecting using specialized treatments, and repairing any damage caused by the mold. They can make sure your building is completely safe and mold-free in no time. But hopefully you won't need to call them; by following the information provided above, you can stop it before it becomes a problem.
How To Protect Your Property Before And After A FIre
Trying to create the perfect disaster plan for your company in Mission or Edinburg, TX is virtually impossible. After all, a variety of unexpected things can occur when the moment strikes, forcing everyone involved to simply adapt and react accordingly. However, devising a smart evacuation plan ahead of time for employees to practice can be crucial, while setting up a proper contingency plan affects how your business deals with the aftermath.
When you’re proposing a plan for evacuation procedures, here are some key things to incorporate:
- Ensure a map of the building with exit doors and escape routes is systematically placed around the office for convenient viewing at all times. Take practice runs with employees to help them pinpoint their closest exits, or demonstrate an alternative escape method in case the fire happens to be blocking their intended exit.
- Teach employees risk assessment questions. While small fires can often be quickly contained with the use of a fire extinguisher, any fire has the potential to get out of control. Enforce a meeting to discuss risk assessment questions employees should immediately consider when a fire erupts.
SERVPRO of East MIssion & South Edinburg Is The Vendor You Can Count On
Insurance adjusters often get a bad rap because they're "slow to handle claims," but the truth is that insurance companies can only move as fast as their vendors—of which there are often many. From the initial emergency response team to the cleanup crew, and from the appraiser to the underwriter, a single claim goes through many professionals before the adjuster can make a final decision. When one vendor experiences a hold up, all vendors experience a hold up, which can delay claim services by days or even weeks. When insurance companies work with SERVPRO, however, the claims process moves exponentially quicker.
Work With The #1 Restoration Franchise in Emergency Situations
In the event of an emergency, even a single day delay can have costly consequences for insureds. Not only does a delay mean that a business has to keep its doors closed for another day longer, but also, a delay can result in more extensive damage. Secondary damage, which occurs after 24 to 48 hours, is costly to fix, as it often involves structural damage. Examples of secondary damage include the following:
- Rotted drywall
- Rotted structural beams
- Buckling hardwood floors
- Mold growth
- Peeling vinyl and other flooring materials
In an emergency situation, the right Mission or Edinburg, TX emergency response team will not only be on site within one to four hours, but also, it can help speed up the claim services process.
How SERVPRO Assists With Claims
The national leader in damage restoration not only responds immediately to emergency situations but also, it performs pretesting and itemized loss inventory. It also provides insurers with the fast, accurate information they need to make sound claims decisions, including a complete electronic file, online access to files and informative reports that can serve to improve results and cut job cost data.
The Different Types Of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises, therefore, smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored to the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care. Give us a call at (956) 585-3433!
Water Loss in Commercial Locations
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Unique Challenges When Restoring Commercial Properties
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Why You Should Choose SERVPRO
Every day at SERVPRO we get asked by our customers: “Why SERVPRO?” We, of course, can give you statistics and show you our outstanding reviews from Google. But that just paints a picture of what we do – and how we do it. But to us, the answer of “Why SERVPRO” goes a bit deeper and we can find it in our staff.
Our staff is filled with amazing people, and each person brings unique qualities to our team. You’ll be hard pressed to find a day where someone isn’t laughing or telling some sort of story. We’re so much more than just a team, we’re a family here at SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg and we are proud of that fact. Our family and team work is why SERVPRO is the best team to handle your disaster.
Tips To Remember When Using a Fire Extinguisher
As a homeowner in Mission, TX, you need to be prepared for emergencies. If you've ever had a house fire and had to call in professionals to restore your home, you understand the importance of having a fire extinguisher on hand. Following the steps below can ensure that you're using it correctly.
1. Assess the Situation
First, understand what you're dealing with. If the blaze is already too big, the best idea may be to call the fire department and get yourself and anyone else in the house to safety. If you can safely douse it with a fire extinguisher, you need to next make sure that you have right type for whatever material is burning.
2. Use the Right Extinguisher for the Fire
Experts classify extinguishers based on the type of fire they can combat. These include:
- Type A: for fires involving plastics, wood, textiles and paper
- Type B: used on fires involving solvents, gasoline, oils, paints and other flammable liquids
- Type C: for electrical fires, including plugged-in equipment like computers or appliances
- Type D: for fires involving combustible powders or metals
- Type E: commonly used for a kitchen fire involving fats or cooking oils
These letter classifications are always found on the sides of the extinguishers, many of which are rated for putting out fires of more than one type.
3. Remember: "PASS"
The PASS method is an easy way to remember how to use most fire extinguishers. Each letter in "PASS" stands for the first word of an operational step. The "P" tells you to pull the pin at the top of the extinguisher; it needs to be removed before operation. The "A" tells you to aim the nozzle. The nozzle should not be aimed at the top of the flames, but at the bottom, where the combustion is taking place. The first "S" tells you to squeeze the handle to start the flow, and the second one reminds you to sweep from side to side while spraying.
By acting quickly and following the instructions above, you can safely prevent fire damage before it has a chance.
Our Commercial Services
Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, and equipment. SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg has the resources and expertise to give you excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. We can help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg responds quickly to your fire, water, or mold damage emergency, 24 hours a day. Whether the damage occurs in a small business building or a big box store, we have the training, experience, and equipment to handle the situation. Our national network of 1,700 Franchises gives us access to personnel and resources to respond to any size restoration emergency.
Tips On Where Mold Hides And What to Look For
At one time or another, virtually every property in the RGV area will have mold. Thankfully there are steps that you can take for mold prevention, however, in the event of an infestation, it is vital that you understand the causes of mold, and the risks if left unremedied. For mold removal in Mission and Edinburg, SERVPRO is available when you need us. Our professional team is experienced in mold remediation and restoration, cleaning up after a fire, flood, and other disasters.
Mold develops and grows in areas of the home that are warm and humid. While bathrooms, basements, crawl spaces, attics, sunrooms, and mud rooms may be on your watch list for mold, here are some other not-so-common areas to watch.
First, in bathrooms, look for mold growth around the tub and shower as this is often the first place for it to develop. It may appear dark green or black in color, and appear first in the caulking and around ceiling and wall joints. However, don’t stop looking there. Under the sink, in the linen closet, and on the walls and ceiling around the exhaust are other areas that are common to develop mold. If there is any mildew-type odor in the air, there is a good chance mold is near. Keep looking, or call in a professional mold testing team for evaluation.
Second, take a look under your kitchen sink, behind the refrigerator, and in the pantry. Kitchens, like bathrooms, are ideal places for mold to grow; they are typically warmer and more humid than other areas of the home. If your refrigerator or dishwasher leaks, or has in the past, the drywall or flooring adjacent to them may be affected by mold. Left unchecked, the drywall, floors, and structural integrity may be compromised. Your local East Mission and South Edinburg SERVPRO knows where to look for mold, and how to remove it.
Third, look for any signs of mold in bedroom closets. These are areas in which there is little air movement; the moisture from the environment as well as from freshly washed clothing can collect and cause mold to develop. Lessen the likelihood of mold growth in your bedrooms, and closets by leaving a window open, at least once per week. In the summer months, run your air conditioning and a dehumidifier to help maintain safe humidity levels.
Lastly, examine any other areas where there has been previous water or flood damage in your home. If you’ve had a leaky roof, flood, broken water pipe, or fire, and your home was not properly restored, those areas should be on the top of your list for quarterly self-inspection. The first sign of mold on walls or ceilings in these areas may appear like spatters or water droplets. They may be soft yellow in color, but will darken and multiply with time. In the early stages, a bleach-based cleanser can remove the mold; however, it is important to understand that if there are other areas of mold in the home, or humidity levels are high, the mold may reappear quickly.
If you or your family are experiencing persistent symptoms similar to seasonal allergies, your home may have mold. For a professional mold removal, call SERVPRO today! We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Is Your Family Ready For Severe Storms? Make A Plan!
Make A Plan For The Family
Although you need to create a plan, there is something more important that you need to do with your family. You need to practice your plan so that everyone knows where to go no matter what time of the day or night severe weather strikes. Write down all of the important phone numbers of family and friends so that you can stay in contact with them after the storm to ensure that they are safe. Another important number to have is your insurance adjuster. This number is beneficial if there is damage to the home. Companies like SERVPRO can come to the home to help with water removal and other storm damage that occurs inside the house.
Keep copies of all of your important documents, such as social security cards and birth certificates. You also need to have a way to communicate with others in the event there is no power or phone service. If there is a large group of people in the disaster area, each person needs to know how to contact others. Designate a leader and an assistant to check with others in the area to make sure everyone is accounted for after the storm.
An emergency preparedness kit is something to have so that your family can survive if there is no power or if the family is stuck in the home because of damages from the storm. Items in the kit should last for about 72 hours. Batteries are essential so that you can use your phone, radio or a battery-powered television. You also need flashlights, a gallon of water for each person for at least three days and non-perishable foods. Other items that you might want to include in your kit are blankets, powdered formula for babies, a first aid kit, and clothing. It's also a good idea to have a spare cell phone charger.
Before a storm arrives, if possible, secure items that might blow away. These include chairs and toys that are in the yard. When you are prepared for a natural disaster and the storm damage that could take place, it can help give your family a peace of mind so that they can focus on remaining safe and together.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too, and are proud to be part of this community. Allow us to help and our community in any way we can. We are always here to mitigate your problems.
Cell Phone Disaster Alerts, Stay Up To Date With National Emergencies
Technology has come a long way! The only way you used be able to receive Emergency information was by radio or television, but there is a better way and that is your cell phone.
In 2002, only 62% of U.S. adults possessed a cell phone, and that percentage increased to 95% of Americans in 2016. Today, cell phones are used for more than just to make calls. Cell phone capabilities aren’t what they were 10 or even 5 years ago. New technology has helped make our cell phone do practically anything, from GPS services to video chat, to web surfing, and to virtual reality.
Now knowing this, what is the best and quickest way to notify Americans in case of a major emergency? I’d say through our cell phones! You can be warned of upcoming dangers by emergency alerts from anywhere, while choosing how you’d like to receive them from your cell phone. The ability to be warned of oncoming dangers at a moment’s notice can provide you with a jump-start to safety. Here are 5 different ways to set up your emergency alerts from you cell phone.
- National updates
Receive updates regarding National Security from Homeland Security, the latest outbreaks from CDC, and computer threats from US-CERT. These notifications are issued through WEA- Wireless Emergency Alerts. If you have ever received an Amber Alert it’s coming from the WEA, which is a default setting in most cell phones.
- Statewide activity updates
Do a Google search for a Public Warning System for your state. This will allow you to customize your alerts specifically to your state.
- Weather apps for phones and tablets
You can receive custom weather alerts from your state or city while customizing the level of warning you want to receive. Apple users can download NOAA Radar Pro and android users can download the app Pro Weather Alert. These apps can range from $2- $3, and is worth every penny to keep you and your family notified of weather emergencies and dangers.
The FEMA text message program informs you of safety tips for specific disaster types, and allows you to search for open shelters and disaster recovery centers.
- Apple devices-text APPLE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Android devices-text ANDROID to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Blackberry devices-text BLACKBERRY to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Survivehive Alert Center
Stay up to date with the latest disaster/emergency, terrorism, disease outbreak, significant earthquake, and severe weather alerts all from one site.
Remember to call SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg in the event of a storm (956) 631-0348.
Water Damage In Your Home? Here Is What To Do
If you have a water damage from a clean source such as water supply lines, sink overflows, tub overflows, or appliance malfunctions, here are some things to do before SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg arrives.
Shut off the source of the water.
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if the access panel is safe from electrical shock.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
The Recuperation After A Storm
Being Affected by storm damage can be very devastating and cause you a lot of stress and worry, But what if I were to tell you that relying on an emergency and disaster response team can save you the hassle of finding equipment and a support services?
If you have been affected by storm damage, then you might want to consider SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg. We have a 24-hour emergency service that specializes in Clean-Up, Restoration, and remediation as well.
Today, I'd like to cover the following applications available for cleaning up after a storm:
- Emergency Dewatering
- Remediation and Restoration
When a hurricane hits or any other storm that can cause some water damage to occur, water can seem endless. SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg has High Performance pump products and pump accessories that can help de-water your site. SERVPRO can help you identify the correct equipment, design plan, and maintenance options for all emergency pumping needs That we provide to help make that stress go away.
Remediation and Restoration.
After being hit with a storm, it’s critical to get your home, facility, and/or community building back to its entirety as soon as possible. The equipment SERVPRO most often uses in an emergency includes: generators, pumps, aerial work platforms, vacuums, air scrubbers, and dehumidifiers. Our staff is highly trained and ready for any remediation and restoration service situation.
Fire Restoration Process From Start To Finish
Each fire is different and every home requires its own specific approach, but the following is the general process we follow in a typical fire damage restoration situation:
Emergency response. When you make your call to us, the restoration process begins. Our customer service representative will ask the right questions so that we can respond quickly and bring along the right resources and equipment.
Inspection and assessment. We inspect the impacted area and adjoining rooms to find out the extent of the soot, smoke and other fire damage, then we can develop our plan of action.
Securing the structure. Preventing further damage is essential, so we take immediate action to board up broken windows, shore up damaged walls and put tarps over damaged sections of the roof.
Water removal. When water damage is present, we immediately start water removal. Dehumidifiers and air movers are used to get all the water from your home and complete the drying process.
Surface soot and smoke removal. Using special equipment and time-tested techniques, we get rid of soot and smoke from the ceiling, all walls and other hard surfaces.
Cleaning and disinfecting. Restorable items require cleaning and sanitizing. A variety of cleaning products and techniques are used to accomplish this as appropriate. This process includes odor removal using foggers and industrial-strength air scrubbers.
Restoration. Getting things back to normal is the final step in the process. This can involve small repairs, drywall replacement, new carpet installation, painting and more. Major construction may sometimes also be required
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg is always open to help with your fire damage. If need more information, call us today at (956) 585- 3433.
Thunderstorm Safety protocols We Suggest !
Each year, the majority of the United States will experience at least one thunderstorm. While they are more prevalent in certain areas than others, due to the differences in the climate and weather conditions, they can also prove to be very dangerous if precautions are not taken.
How to Stay Safe Before the Thunderstorm
- Secure all outdoor belongings to avoid them from blowing around and causing property damage.
- Remove any large debris from the yard, such as large branches, construction and gardening tools, etc.
- Shut all outside windows and doors.
- Unplug all electrical equipment.
- Bring all pets inside.
Staying Safe When Not at Home During the Storm:
- When in the car, close the windows. Do not touch any metal part of the car. Also, do not attempt to drive anywhere safe as flash floods are known for causing severe damage to cars.
- When in an open area, find lower ground as fast as possible that is away from tall objects. Crouch down with your head between your knees while keeping your ears covered.
- If you are in a forest, find an area with smaller trees that are covered by taller ones. If possible, get to lower ground.
- When with a group of people, try to stay at least 15 feet from them at all times.
- Stay away from all metal objects, such as outside equipment, motorcycles, golf carts, bikes, etc.
- Stay out of all areas with water, including the beach, lake, pond, ocean, etc.
How to Stay Safety at Home During the Storm
- Stay away from all windows, doors, porches, and gazebos. Close all blinds and drapes and stay in the center of the home.
- Do not turn on the water or any water-related appliances, such as the sink, washing machine, dishwasher, hose, etc.
- Do not lie or lean against any concrete floors or walls as they may contain wires that conduct electricity.
- Safety After the Storm
- Do not drive through a flooded area.
- Do not drive anywhere with large amounts of debris on the road.
- Help others if they need assistance.
- As pets can be afraid of storms, keep them indoors.
- Report all fallen power lines.
Recovering After The Storm
As you can see, there are many precautions that can be taken to be prepared for and stay safe during a storm. But unfortunately, some storms may be strong enough to still cause damage to a home or building. While strong winds are able to rip off roofs, siding, doors, etc., flash floods are also able to seep into foundations and cause severe water damage.
If you have found significant damage to your property after a thunderstorm, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg to help with the water damage restoration or storm damage cleanup services.
Recovering from a fire can be a physically and mentally draining process. When fire strikes, lives are suddenly turned around. Often, the hardest part is knowing where to begin and who to contact. You will need a professional company to help you navigate through the process.
Our crews at SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg are those professionals.
Our trained technicians will walk you through exactly what we can do for you. From securing your property, to the cleaning of the structure and your belongings. Inventory will take place on-site. Once the inventory is complete, we will pack your items and transport them back to our facility. These items will be cleaned, packed and stored at our warehouse until your home is repaired.
We are Cleaning Experts
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set fourth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC's guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC Recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and Local authorities
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today!
SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg, (956)585-3499
We Provide Immediate Attention To Your Water Damage Disaster
Our recovery teams are prepped and ready to respond on a moments notice. We are available 24/7 so don't hesitate and call us right away.
Inspection, Assessment and Remediation of Water Damage in Montgomery
Dealing with property damages is a job for professionals. Haphazard remediation efforts can result in further issues or persistent problems. Our service provides technicians with the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification to ensure they can mitigate losses and repair your home correctly. As a locally owned company, we can offer reduced call out times and a twenty-four-hour contact number for emergencies.
Properties with water damage in the valley require immediate attention. Over time, residual moisture can cause mal-odors or microbial growth in carpets, insulation, and soft furnishings. Failure to attend to these issues can result in permanent problems that may need wholesale replacements. Using SERVPRO can help you to take back control of your property after excess quantities of water enter the home.
The first phase of water restoration is to conduct a thorough inspection. Initially, SERVPRO technicians assess the visible signs of moisture, starting from the source and working outwards. Since water migrates rapidly, we may also need to conduct a more thorough search using a range of detection equipment. This equipment could include thermal imaging cameras, moisture sensors, and thermal hygrometers.
It is not uncommon for SERVPRO to temporarily remove fittings around the home to establish a thorough drying procedure. Carpets, for example, are porous materials and imbibe moisture. Beneath your carpet, the sub floor mat may have broken apart or become saturated. We can remove, dispose, and replace your sub floor mat before returning your dry carpet to its original position.
In some situations, it may be necessary to dry your property overnight. To do this, SERVPRO can deploy dehumidifiers or rapid air movers to establish an airflow within the affected area. Air circulation helps to evaporate residual moisture while dehumidifiers can remove the evaporated moisture from the surrounding air. A procedure like this can help to establish a properly dry area and control microbial growth after water damage.
For a highly trained effort in water damage remediation, contact SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg at (956) 585-3499 today.
How to Prevent Water Damage
Here at SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg, we are water damage specialists, and we compiled a small list on how to prevent water damage from happening often in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof. Don’t forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Know your Water Main - Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly - Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly - If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses - Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours often throughout the year to avoid expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure - If the water pressure to your home is too high, then your pipes and hoses may fail under the high pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical homes water systems are designed for a pressure of 40 – 70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, then there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
If you do unfortunately experience water damage, we are here to help. Call us at (956)585-3499
Smoke and Soot Facts
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today –(956)585-3499
Fire Damage In Your Residence Can Necessitate Soot Cleanup Services
After a fire, homeowners commonly find soot on ceilings, walls, and other objects or materials in their homes. Most wall surfaces, including painted drywall, brick, or wallpaper, are porous. Soot consists of fine particles that can penetrate deeply into porous surfaces, causing lingering odors and stains.
Most of the time, it's possible to remove soot from ceilings and walls, but in serious cases, it may be necessary to remove, repaint or reinstall affected materials like wallpaper and drywall. To get the best outcome from soot clean up after fire damage in your residence, you should hire a professional restoration firm like SERVPRO. Our fire restoration experts are equipped to handle the smoke, ash, and soot cleanup process quickly and effectively. We begin soot cleanup by removing most of the dry soot using a duster, H.E.P.A vacuum or dry cleaning sponge.
When cleaning some surfaces like wallpaper, the appropriate method to use is dry cleaning. Other surfaces can respond well and tolerate wet cleaning procedures. Using a chemical-dry sponge or a dry-cleaning sponge is appropriate when a high oxygen fire has caused soot to build up in a particular area. The soot can smear and leave an unsightly stain if one attempts to use a wet cleaning method. Before we perform any wet cleaning procedures, we test the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous, small area like behind a switch plate to see if it causes any staining.
Soot can cause further damage in your home if it is ground and smudged into paint, plaster, wallpaper, walls, upholstery, and carpets. The odor that soot can cause is difficult to eradicate with typical cleaning methods and household products. Normal household vacuums are inefficient in removing soot and ash for they redeposit the particles around a house which can contaminate previously unaffected rooms and areas. Our SERVPRO technicians can use HEPA vacuums to remove soot from the affected areas, including sockets and light switches. If you do not clean these fixtures before use, short-circuiting can occur. HEPA vacuums trap the particles, preventing them from redepositing.
For help in removing soot from your home, contact SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg at (956)585-3499. We have the tools and expertise to deal with the aftermath of a fire and restore your property to its pre-fire damage condition.
Disaster Recovery Team
When a storm or disaster strikes your home or business, SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team is poised and "Ready for whatever happens." With a network of more than 1,700 franchises nationwide, the SERVPRO system strives to be faster to any size disaster. Strategically located throughout the United States, SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team is expertly trained and readily equipped to handle the largest storms and highest floodwaters. Providing experience, manpower, equipment, and other resources, the Disaster Recovery Team is always on call and available to assist SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg. SERVPRO's Disaster Recovery Team has responded to hundreds of disaster events. In the aftermath of a disaster, there is only one objective: to help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Did you know that SERVPRO has a specialized storm team and large loss response network to provide the resources to your property when others can’t? In the event of a disaster, SERVPRO professionals have the resources to relocate crews with equipment to take care of all of our customer’s needs. SERVPRO strategically places mobilization teams across the country to travel when needed to support recovery after large storm events such as hurricanes. Our job as water damage restoration professionals is to limit the amount of business interruption. We understand that fast mitigation is key to getting your business back up and running. SERVPRO provides the resources in the event of a large storm event to make sure that the right equipment, procedures, and training are in place to ensure that the structure is dry the first time and saves you time and money.
Do you have questions about how SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg can help you prepare for a disaster? Contact us at (956)585-3499
Preparing Your Commercial Business for a Disaster
Be SERVPRO Ready with our commercial disaster loss Emergency Ready Program!
It is stated that about 50% of commercial business who run into a disaster never reopen after a storm disaster occurred. SERVPRO of McAllen wants to help more businesses stay in business after an emergency happens and be there for support when needed.
SERVPRO of McAllen established an Emergency Disaster Program so that when a disaster comes, you will have a blanket of security in times of panic. This is a detailed description of where to go, when to take action and who you can call. An emergency ready profile is vital for your commercial business because a storm disaster could happen at any moment, and SERVPRO wants to help prepare our customers for any disaster that may come their way. The ERP, or emergency ready profile is a profile that will have all the necessary information you need to handle situations with disasters. No contracts are involved and it is at no cost to you or your business. We locate all the emergency numbers you may need and emergency action checklist for a step by step on what to do in a disaster. We also have provided the necessary utility shut off locations for all the gas, electric, heat, water and other important locations to know and understand how to turn them off. This is vital because in case of emergencies and panic, you may not know how to even shut off the source, which is important because the source needs to be shut off before any action can be done. It will also give you a complete property overview, showing where emergency exits are and where exactly you should leave the property when evacuating.
Time is of the essence in cases of emergency, so it is important to act fast to eliminate anymore disaster from occurring. By having a plan of action, you can readily be prepared and act in a timely manner, and limit the amount of time you as a company, are inactive. Not only does the ERP save you time, but money as well. We obtain all your insurance information so you have it readily available at your convenience as a mobile app also. We have detailed an insurance policy information in your pamphlet to inform our customers what their policy is and what is covered by insurance. It is important to keep in mind, safety first and to account for everyone in the building and make sure everyone is okay before moving on. Things get crazy and hectic and emotions run high when a disaster occurs, so SERVPRO of McAllen wants to make this as easy as possible for our customers because we understand the hardships you might be going through at that moment. We can offer you all the services in the world to cleanup the damage, but the best service we can offer is helping you be prepared.
SERVPRO wants the best for our customers and we know the best for them is the Emergency Ready Profile. SERVPRO of McAllen always has your back when it comes to preparedness and the essentials when dealing with storm disasters!
Restoring Your Commercial Property After a Water Damage Event
We can help restore your commercial property back to preloss conditions faster than you can say green.
Perla Chapa - Marketing Coordinator.
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg.
SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
We Provide Post Construction Cleanup!
Post Construction Debris Cleanup In our Clients Home.
Perla Chapa - Marketing Coordinator
When you think about post construction clean up, does this sound like debris removal or cleanup of dust and dirt? A post construction cleanup is actually both!
The job scope can include removing construction debris such as loose boards and scraps from inside the structure, sweeping the floors, prepping for carpet or other types of flooring, washing windows, and dusting. Our final interior cleanup is a detailed top to bottom white glove clean after construction wraps up. Our trained team can perform services for both residential customers and commercial clients. We have completed work in small apartments, large homes, restaurants, city buildings, and large scale commercial facilities.
If you are having work done in your home or business and will need a post construction clean, give our office a call for a walk through. Our project manager will provide a break down of the job scope as well as a detailed estimate specific to your project. (956) 585-3499
All your Commercial Cleaning Needs.
Our SERVPRO Professionals Assisting a local Walgreen That needed a Bio-hazard Clean-up
Perla Chapa - Marketing Coordinator
Time is a Precious Commodity.
When you need it done right, and done fast, call SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg for all your commercial cleaning needs. Did you know when you hire SERVPRO for maintenance cleaning, you get around-the-clock restoration services built with you in mind? Quality cleaning and quick response- That's the SERVPRO way. Can't Figure out how to get the job done? Call SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg for all your emergency restoration needs. Through it all, you expect the most reliable information, and the very best service at a fair price. We are committed to providing fire, and water cleanup, and restoration services to reduce business interruptions, and recovery costs.
From Carpets to Catastrophes.
Our SERVPRO Professionals are IICRC Certified in all of the cleaning, and restoration services we provide.
Perla Chapa - Marketing Coordinator
What SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg Can Do For You.
SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg Provides a variety of services for both Commercial, and Residential Properties.
The services we Provide are as Followed:
- Fire, smoke, and Soot Cleanup, and Restoration - Pretesting helps SERVPRO determine what type of fire has taken place. Knowing the types of smoke, and their behavior patterns are vital to proper restoration.
- Water Removal, and Dehumidification - SERVPRO Professionals identify the source, and type of water, which determines the proper course of action. Drying equipment controls temperature, and humidity, minimizing secondary damage.
- Crime Scene, Biohazard, and Vandalism Cleanup - SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg Technicians are trained to safely, and effectively clean biohazardous substances, and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and Local Health, and state Regulations.
- Mold Mitigation, and Remediation - SERVPRO Professionals work to control, and remediate mold contaminants while protecting your health, and safety.
- Contents Claim Inventory Service - Accurate inventory helps keep costs low, and reduces job completion time. We can provide an itemized, area-by-area loss inventory.
- Air Duct, and HVAC Cleaning - Our Technicians can inspect your HVAC system, and ductwork. Cleaning services can be provided to help restore peak energy efficiency, eliminate offensive odors, and improve indoor air quality.
- Carpet, and Hard Floor Cleaning, and Care - We use the latest IICRC training as well as state of the art equipment to remove entrapped soils from deep within your carpet's pile, and backings.
- Stain Removal, Stain Resistance Applications - Using IICRC standards for carpet as a guide, SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg will show you what cleaning option would be best for your carpet's level of soiling, and explain the benefits of soil protection.
- Odor Identification, and Deodorization - SERVPRO Technicians will find the source of the odor, and determine the best methods to neutralize, and eliminate it.
- Upholstery, and Drapes: Wet or Dry Cleaning Methods - Fabrics are inspected, and tested to determine the safest, and most effective cleaning methods.
Commercial Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
The devastating effects of fire can damage or destroy any type of commercial facility – such as banks, schools, offices, hospitals and more.
Perla Chapa - Marketing Support Coordinator
We know how dire the consequences of fire damage are and thanks to our decades of experience, a highly trained team and specialized, state-of-of-the-art equipment and restoration techniques, we can help you to get your business back in operation. At SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg, we recognize the urgency involved when it comes to protecting your investment, and we’re here to help you minimize damage to your business or facility.
Working through Fire and Smoke Damage
Smoke can cause more damage to a building that isn't visible to the naked eye. A facility affected by even a small fire will need to be thoroughly checked and cleaned before re-use. SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg uses cutting-edge equipment to clean and restore items like carpets, walls, ceilings, electronics and woodwork from damage caused by smoke. We can also decontaminate your H.V.A.C. system and duct work to remove allergens, soot, and mold.
Once the structural cleaning is performed to SERVPRO standards, the rebuild will begin. SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg is fully qualified to provide both interior and exterior reconstruction services. We can take care of emergency repairs, controlled demolition, and our emergency response service is available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. We also work closely with insurance companies ensuring the smoothest restoration process possible.
Why SERVPRO Is A Better Restoration System.
We always make sure our equipment is looking sharp after every job!
Perla Chapa - Marketing Support Coordinator
Over the years, SERVPRO franchise professionals have developed new, and advanced ways to make sure every job is complete to our SERVPRO Standards, and for our customers satisfaction.
The Right Equipment
SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg understands using the proper equipment makes a measurable difference in reducing claims loss expense. When time matters, technology, and equipment must be counted on to perform. SERVPRO will answer your call with fast action, exceptional equipment, and trained, uniformed personnel. Certainly, the right tool for the job is vital to timely mitigation.
Psychrometrics is the study of the air, and its properties. The properties of temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point are measured to evaluate air conditions in the structure, enabling a SERVPRO franchise professional to create the proper atmosphere for more efficient drying.
Scoping involves locating the areas of the structure into which water has intruded, and defining the extent to which the structure, and contents have absorbed moisture. Moisture detection devices are also used to verify an environment has been dried thoroughly.
- Moisture Sensors are used to detect moisture in carpets, and carpet padding.
- Moisture Meters are used to determine the actual moisture content of various materials. The moisture tester provides accurate moisture readings that enable SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg Professionals to monitor the drying process.
- Thermo-Hygrometers measure both temperature, and relative humidity. Capturing these two readings, a SERVPRO franchise professional using a psychrometric chart can calculate specific humidity, dew point, and vapor pressure.
- Infrared Cameras can identify the location, and extent of moisture in walls very effectively.
- Manometers allow SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg to measure the difference in air pressure when creating a negative air pressure environment.
Why hesitation leads to Mold Growth.
A water loss from a faulty pipe can lead to mold growth if not handled properly.
Perla Chapa- Marketing Support Coordinator
SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg professionals handle water damages on a daily basis and the most important thing to them is to take action as soon as possible to prevent mold growth.
Mold is likely to spread in an environment that has been subject to moisture for an extended period of time. If your property has sustained recent water damage, it is vital to extract any excess water/moisture and dry out the structure right away.
In an area like ours, down here in the RGV, quick action is especially critical. Since we have a warmer climate, combined with almost 100% humidity pretty frequently, it is crucial that we respond without any hesitation.
Here is a list of things to be on the watch for once you notice that there is moisture present:
- The presence of visible mold,
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
- Stagnant or “stale” air.
Certain conditions may even require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Now, after seeing just how much effort goes into mitigation work, it’s clear to see why these are situations that require special professional attention.
If you have an emergency water loss, don't hesitate to call the Professionals at SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg.
24 hour emergency services
Who is SERVPRO and Why choose us for your Cleaning and Restoration Needs?
SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg
Perla Chapa - Marketing support coordinator
The fairly typical scenario we’ve probably all had the misfortune to witness: broken/leaky pipe. It’s more of a common occurrence than I first believed. It’s a major pain to deal with. More so out of inconvenience than anything else. It’s not really that large of a situation to call up your insurance company and file a claim.
The last thing you want to have to do is file a claim and mess with your insurance. So, what do you do?? Guess you grab some towels and buckets and cancel your weekend plans, right?
Guess again! Not so fast!
You may ask: “Well what’s the harm in picking up the mess? It has to get done, right?”
The issue is really about all the things that are lying beneath the surface… behind the walls, under the carpet/tile. The things we don’t see.
- Do you have pets? No matter how well you’ve cleaned up after them, they leave behind all kinds of germs and bacteria, and when they come back into contact with water, those harmful toxins are reactivated and can leave foul odors, and stains
- What year was your home built? This may seem like a pointless question at first, but it really helps us find out what tools we’re gonna need to get the job done the right way. See, in the early 90's, there was a large amount of Chinese Dry Wall being used in home construction. The difference in this type of drywall is that it is a lot more dense, heavier and may even contain metal. This plays a big role in how long we’d need to leave drying equipment set up.
The type of insulation of your home is another factor to consider. Carpet? Type of carpet pad? Type of tile? Ceramic? Sub floor? Plank wood floor? You get the idea.
- Relative Humidity. Well you can just open a window, right? That’ll dry it out, right? Relative Humidity. That’s the difference between humidity in the home vs. outside the home. And the difference in whether you might get mold or not. Unless you have the equipment to test the moisture levels in the air, then it may not be the best idea.
You may be able to mop up the surface, but that’s as far as most will be able to reach. It’s the water you don’t see that becomes the problem. Can’t exactly mop behind your walls, or under your tile. A few weeks may go by and you’ll notice a funky smell that never really goes away… and that’s when you’ll know: mold.
Although at first thought, it may seem like unnecessary, fancy solutions to a simple problem… it’s honestly way more than that. Getting in front of the problem to prevent secondary damage is what SERVPRO does best.
So next time you experience any kind of unexpected mishap, test us out and see what SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg can do for you.
Commercial Services For Rio Grande Valley Business Owners & Managers
Commercial clean up
Perla Chapa - Marketing Support Coordinator
There is no job too big or too small for our SERVPRO team.
Our services are available those in property management, retail, education, healthcare, hospitality, food services, government/military, manufacturing/industrial and many more!
For our commercial customers, we offer a myriad of services such as
- Water/Fire restoration
- mold remediation
- storm and major events
- disaster recovery
SERVPRO of East Mission / South Edinburg offers cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing bio-hazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get you back to business in no time at all. Our cleaning services include the following:
- Air Ducts and H.V.A.C.
- Bio-hazard and Sewage
- Trauma and Crime Scene
- Carpet and Upholstery
- Drapes and Blinds
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors
- Odor Removal and Deodorization
If you or someone you know would benefit from our services, feel free to call SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg at (956) 585-3499.
*Remember: call direct and avoid the lines!
Our services are available 24/7/365 and we will always execute our jobs with promptness and professionalism.
Find and like our page on Facebook at SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg Page
Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
This is the aftermath of a home who suffered a severe Fire loss.
Our team has responded so far to 3 fire losses this week. The cause of loss in this East Mission home is unknown. This before picture shows the disaster left behind after the fire was put down from the fire department. SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg was called in to clean up the aftermath! This picture was taken on day one of the project. our technician supervisor performed a Fire scope in this home, and day two, our team of professionals will be ready to restore this home back to Pre-loss fire conditions, and make it "Like it never even happened." The first step of this project is to clean up all the debris, and start the reconstruction process. If you would like to see the end results of this project, Please stay tuned on our blogs! If disaster ever strikes your home. Just know that SERVPRO is here to guide you through this crisis, and treat your home with great care
We have seen it all!
This flooded home was caused by a recent storm.
When it comes to water damage, You would be surprised how many big water losses we have come across to like this one! No matter the size of the job, We have the ability to handle any situation calmly, and professionally, and give you the best results in every water job we receive. This home suffered an emergency water loss and our team responded as soon as possible, Once we arrived at the scene, we began services as quick as possible to prevent any further damages. Our Team started off the project with extracting the standing water that was remaining in the customers home. We then proceeded to separate all the salvageable items, and the un-salvageable items in the home. Our Technicians had to remove our customers carpets due to the water being a category 3 Loss. Once we finished the extraction, we began the mitigation process. After the home was dry we the proceeded to the final step, which is repairs to our customers home.
Severe Flooding In Harlingen, TX.
Severe flooding after the major storm.
A recent storm that hit the RGV recently caused a major flooding in Harlingen, TX That affected many houses with more than 2" of water. Our technicians worked long, and hard hours for a whole week to make sure that all homes were restored in this difficult time in the valley. Our Team had to team up with 2 of our local SERVPRO'S in the valley to make sure we were able to assist as many people as possible. Many people in the Harlingen area weren't able to gain access to their home for a days due to how bad the area was. Till this day, some areas still have some standing water remaining in the streets of Harlingen, TX. Our Storm team did an amazing job assisting the valley, and we are so proud of their undying commitment, and dedication to the work they put out for our customers satisfaction.
Flooded Neighborhood In Harlingen, TX
The major flooding was caused by a recent storm that hit the RGV.
This was the most difficult time for the RGV. Our storm team handled the situation as professional as possible. All the homes were affected with more than 2 inches of water, and most people weren't able to have access to their home. Our clients were so thankful to have us there to take the stress away in this difficult, and confusing time. All the long hours that our technicians worked, all paid off in the end. We did a lot of water extraction, Mitigation, and demoing in every home and they were all satisfied with the aftermath of our reconstruction. Our storm team has the knowledge, and certifications to be able to restore your home back to Pre-loss conditions. We treat every home with great respect. When emergency water loss strikes your home, don't hesitate to call the storm damage experts in SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg.
The Science Behind Mold: How It Begins, Grows, and Is Eliminated
Don't Let Mold Feel Welcomed, Call the Pros at SERVPRO For Your Mold Remediation Needs!
Mold can be a nasty problem to have in your home. Understanding the science behind mold can help to demonstrate how it gets a foothold in your home and what’s necessary to remove it. Mold can sometimes seem like a small, smelly inconvenience, but it can be a big problem in your home. Taking steps early on is one of the best ways to tackle this problem, but even cases where the mold is significant, it is not impossible to conquer when you understand it.
How Does Mold Begin According to the Science Behind Mold?
Mold is an organism that can be found anywhere, and in the right conditions, can grow on just about any substance. Add some mold spores to a moist environment, and you’ve got the potential for mold. Mold spores are the byproduct of mold, and it moves through the air currents outside and in your home. The scariest part of that means that you could have mold in one area of your home, and the air currents could allow it to travel to other rooms.
How Does It Grow?
Once mold spores have found the perfect environment for it to live upon, the spores start to grow. This growth is dependent upon moisture and a food source. Many of the conventional materials in your home are the perfect environment for mold. Your carpets, the padding beneath them, your drywall, plywood, and other surfaces are likely places for it to reside. Dust, cellulose and other organic materials make up their food source. Leaking pipes, roofing issues, or additional moisture sources contribute to its growth.
You may think that just getting rid of the food source or the moisture is sufficient enough to stop the growth of mold, but that’s not the case. In fact, mold will become dormant. It doesn’t die but basically puts itself in a state of hibernation. Think of it as being almost similar to bears. They feast and then sleep through the winter months to reawaken in the spring. That is when food is back to being plentiful. Mold will wait until the right conditions reappear and reactivate itself.
It can bother you that your mold doesn’t have an apparent source of moisture, but just the humidity in your home can be enough for mold to thrive. This moisture-laden air allows water vapor to collect on the surface the mold is living upon as it condenses. You may find that if you don’t have the proper vapor barriers in your home, mold can thrive in crawl spaces and your basement.
How Is It Eliminated?
Now that you understand the science behind mold, it’s easy to see that it’s not easy to eliminate it. Although there are plenty of DIY sprays that claim to kill mold, it takes more than spraying a chemical and forgetting about the mold issue. You have to be sure that you’ve thoroughly sprayed and killed the mold. Once you’ve gotten it sprayed down, it’s essential to safely remove the mold. You have to be sure that you get all of the mold out of your home, or you’ll find that in a short time that you’re right back at square one with the hidden mold spreading back to where you cleared it.
Why Is Mold An Issue?
There are a few reasons why mold growing in your home or business is an issue that needs elimination. One of the first reasons why you need to have mold removed from your home is that it’s unsightly. It can be a real ugly looking spot on your wall, your floor, or your baseboards. It can make your home look dirty and unkempt. In addition to being unsightly, the mold is a health hazard. Mold can cause respiratory and other issues in people that visit or live in your home. Someone that already has immune issues can be impacted by coming into contact with mold in your home, but even healthy individuals can develop health problems when exposed to it.
How Can Professionals Help?
The science behind mold can help pinpoint the reason as to why a professional service can be helpful. Mold isn’t one of the most straightforward problems to get rid of in your home. It can be easy to miss a spot here or there and allow it to retake a substantial foothold after a short time. Professionals are familiar with how mold grows and behaves, so they often can have a better chance of removing it all the right way the first time around. Let our professional staff at SERVPRO help you to understand what is necessary to remove the mold safely from your family’s environment. You may not realize how that case of the sniffles could be cleared up from removing the mold rather than hitting the doctor’s office.
9 Smoke Odor Removal Musts!
We understand the devastation Fire Damage can bring to you and your family, We are here to help.
One of the most critical concerns for fire restoration is failing to control or eradicate odors, But luckily not for us here at SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg. Remediating a fire loss may take long, meaning you might have to wait a while for your home to be back to its Pre-loss conditions. We will work non stop to make sure you are back into your home in just a manner of a few weeks instead of having to wait long months.
Here are some things to remember:
- Make sure there’s a straightforward exchange of information between you, the customer, the insurance adjuster and any possible subcontractors. Communicating clearly and setting expectations is a critical component of the job.
- Get a written agreement from the homeowner on exactly what areas have been damaged by the fire and what items should be salvaged or discarded. You don’t want them coming back to you later claiming you’ve trashed an heirloom or didn’t finish the job.
- The way that fire and water damage jobs are handled do have some similarities, but they can’t be interchanged. Confirm that only techs with at least a Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT) certification are allowed to work on the site. Being Odor Control Technician (OCT) certified is also helpful.
- Smoke and fire residues can be poisonous, as fires can include the demolition of plastic, foam, fabric, carpet, wood products, synthetic textiles, and asbestos-containing materials. Ash and smoke can also cause widespread corrosion, etching and staining, as well as persistent powerful odors. So removing these and their sources should be your first priority.
- If the damage is localized, contain those areas to assist in removing odors.
- Carefully inspect all areas that may have numerous layers of wall board. These may hide unexpected gaps and voids that turn into superhighways for circulating smoke and odor.
- Examine all wall cavities, duct work, and plumbing chases to establish whether they suffered any smoke residue or fire damage.
- Use a borescope to discover any damage that may otherwise have been impossible to see without having to completely remove a part of the structure. If the fire is recent, use of a thermal imaging camera may reveal hidden warmer areas, indicating possible fire damage.
- Aside from losing their valuables, the majority of homeowners are underinsured. They may even have to take up temporary lodging. So you’re going to be dealing with some very distraught people. Train yourself and your employees on how to be empathetic and ways to successfully communicate with them.
When eliminating odors on fire jobs, remember that there are several factors that can impact the strength of the odor:
- Size - The bigger the fire, the more objects have burned, and thus there’s been more smoke.
- Length -The longer a structure has been exposed to smoke, the more deeply odor has seeped into porous materials.
- Space - When a fire occurs in a smaller room, the smoke odor becomes more intense and concentrated.
- Stuff - Not all odors are equal. For instance, burning wood, plastic and protein all have very different smells and consistency. This may influence the types of odor eliminators you use.
WHERE the damage occurred and WHAT burned will always be your two main concerns in fire restoration. Knowing the full answers to those questions will likely ensure that your restoration efforts will be complete and that you’ll be able to eliminate all of those irritating odors, while at the same time eliminating any call backs.
Fire restoration jobs can be profitable but also tricky unless handled properly. Prepare well, otherwise you’re the one who may get burned.
How To Keep Your Furniture Looking Brand New With Upholstery Cleaning
Call SERVPRO For any of your upholstery cleaning needs!
Daily maintenance is a MUST! if you aren't cleaning your furniture as part of your regular routines, now is the time to start. You may be equally amazed and disgusted to discover what is lurking between your couch cushions.
Set a calendar to mark down each day you need to do upholstery cleaning and set a few rules around your household to lessen the mess that can be made on your furniture. For example, you can have rules against eating or drinking while sitting on the couch. You'll lessen the crumbs and spills that are sure to find their way in between the cushions to keep your couch clean.
Its not enough to just set rules about food on the couch, because dust will also find it's way onto the surfaces of your furniture as well. Here is a brief overview of steps you can take to keep your furniture looking brand new with regular upholstery cleaning
1. Vacuum your furniture several times a month. The more frequently you vacuum everything, the less likely it is to cause permanent damage to the fabric.
2. Consult a professional about a fabric cleaner that is safe and effective to use on the type of material you need to use it on.
3. Test the cleaner in an unnoticeable place to make sure that it will not leave any stains.
4. Clean your furniture with the recommended cleaner that you have tested.
5. Act on spills and stains aggressively, Meaning that you should clean them immediately.
The most important step is to pay for a professional upholstery cleaning as frequently as you can. While following all the other guidelines will keep your furniture in good condition, the only way to achieve the best outcomes is through hiring a professional.
Commercial Water Damage Clean-up
Commercial water damage cleanup by SERVPRO.
Whenever your commercial business experiences a flood, there are many steps that you need to undertake. There's getting the leaking problem fixed, and getting the building cleaned up. Here at SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg, We have the solution to your water damage problem! We specialize in water restoration & clean-up for both commercial to residential buildings.
We understand that keeping your commercial business running efficiently is contingent upon your ability to clean up & continue operation's even If you've had a flooding event. That's why at SERVPRO, We have 24 hour emergency services where we will work throughout the night so no business days will be interrupted. We also complete a full inspection & work to clean & dehumidify any area's affected by the flooding.
It's important to us to take active measures towards commercial water damage clean-up right away because the longer you wait, the more quickly mold & mildew will begin to grow. By calling our SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg team rapidly, You can prevent some of the additional problems that may occur due to water damage.
The best part about working with us at SERVPRO is that we won't just clear away water & leave you to do the rest. We'll create an action plan that includes the restoration of your business so you can get back to your daily routine. Having our professionals by your side will make a big difference in the outcome of your commercial water damage cleanup.
One Of The Most Important Elements Of Fire Restoration Is Smoke Odor Elimination
SERVPRO Of East Mission/South Edinburg specializes in fire clean-up and restoration.
In order for the smell of smoke to be eliminated during the fire restoration process, its important that appropriate and immediate action is taken. Clothing, Upholstered furniture, draperies, and carpets can be refurnished as well. It is essential to get professional help from an experienced fire restoration company.
The odor of smoke can remain in clothing, Upholstered furniture, draperies, and carpets if they are not properly deodorized. A fire restoration professional uses special deodorizing procedures that actually break up the smoke molecules to eliminate the smell.
Smoke enters, and can remain in and between the walls of living spaces as well. If it is not correctly removed, the odor of smoke will recur from time to time, especially during damp periods. This is one more reason why prompt action must be taken to have smoke odor removed professionally.
If an attic was insulated before the fire, it might be necessary to completely remove the insulation. Unfortunately, insulation can't be cleaned and can still retain smoke odor, so it will have to be replaced. Depending on the amount of smoke damage, the wall's, and ceiling's may need to be cleaned, and repainted.
If you are in need of fire restoration services, Call SERVPRO today!
Tips For Dealing With Storm Damage.
Flooding & storm damage clean-up.
The most common mistake regarding dealing with storm damage is calling your insurance company first. While you do need to be sure to call them within the window of time they allow for you to file a claim after a storm, There are some things you should do before you call them.
First of all, start with a high-quality, reputable storm damage restoration company. They will often find storm damage that your adjuster would not have noticed, of perhaps even hoped you didn't. By giving the adjuster a full property storm damage inspection report upfront, You avoid missing out on repairs that should have been covered.
It is always best to find your own storm damage restoration company rather than go with one that the insurance company has " approved" because you want one that is working for you rather than the insurance company. You have paid your premiums so you deserve the best repair rather than the cheapest, which is what the insurance company would prefer.
You should also read over your policy before calling the insurance company so you know exactly what they should cover. All too often, homeowners hold back on claims out of fear they will be singled out for a rate increase after a storm damage claim, but this is not the case.
If you have suffered storm damage, Give us a call at SERVPRO Of East Mission/South Edinburg, we represent your best interest, yet can work directly with the insurance company for claims up to 500,000 to make the process easier for you. We can provide you with an inspection and then complete the restoration for you. Our team has years of experience in restoration, so we are confident we can restore your home to your complete satisfaction.
Wall Cleaning Without Removing Paint.
SERVPRO'S wall cleaning solutions used to clean any tough stains.
The challenge of cleaning a wall is great when you consider how fragile the paint job on your wall might be. But there is a wall cleaning process that SERVPRO can utilize to help get your walls cleaned off while keeping their natural appearances.
Detergent is key. The main part of wall cleaning is to use a safe detergent that is NOT abrasive . Traditional dish soap is popular for being effective yet gentle. When applied with a soft sponge, you can get this compound to move well into the stain without disrupting the main wall surface.
What about vinegar? Vinegar is a prominent wall cleaning compound that we can mix with water if necessary. The chemical reactions from vinegar do well on stains but are not strong enough to break into a wall's paint job. This is a natural compound that work's well if you have a lighter stain that needs help.
Mild Degreasers help- A mild degreaser may be added onto a surface to wash off a wall. This wall cleaning compound works best on oil painted walls. Any sponges used for cleaning off a wall should be gentle. Also, A degreaser would work best in a kitchen where greasy materials are likely to be used.
Call a Cleaning Professional- Although you can manage to clean your walls yourself, its always best to leave it to a professional. SERVPRO Of East Mission/South Edinburg has many proper safe cleaning solutions for proper wall cleaning that will not ruin the paint on your wall's and leave them clean as a whistle!
See what our SERVPRO team has to offer when you are looking to get a wall cleaned off. We would be more than happy to assist you with cleaning any problematic stains off the walls of your home.
What To Do To Protect Your Home From Storm Damage
Call SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg for any storm damage repair.
Harsh weather can cause unexpected problems & damage to your home when you least expect it. It may seem like there's little you can do to protect your home from huge storms with lots of rain, snow, or strong winds, but often, a small amount of effort & upkeep on your home can make a big difference during a storm. The main thing to keep in mind when preparing your home to resist major storm damage is making sure loose spots or small area's that are already damaged make it much easier for strong winds and other elements of a storm to create further damage from a weak spot on your home. This doesn't necessarily mean the entire roof of siding on your home needs to be replaced, nut small repairs now can help prevent further storm damage.
Another way from keeping your home safe from any storm damage is by making sure there isn't any opening or ways that water can get into your home. Keeping gutters and other drains clear is critical for the free movement of water. If the water is being taken away from the sides, windows, and doors from your home, you are much less likely to experience flooding and other water damage . In addition, Proper sealing around doors or windows is key to keeping rain, snow, and hail outside of your home. Any small opening or crack also provides a way for wind to get in and possibly damage windows and doors.
Taking these small steps before a storm hits can help save your home from expensive destructive storm damage and repairs afterwards.
Top 3 Things You Should Know About Water Damage
SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg are experts at water restoration.
Water Damage can be a huge hassle if not handled correctly. A surprise flood or leak, whether big or small, can cause major issues with your walls, flooring, and furniture. SERVPRO Of East Mission/South Edinburg would like to provide you 3 things to keep in mind when facing a water damage situation at home.
1. Don't Wait To Get Help- Its important to get help as quickly as possible once any water has affected your home to prevent any mold to start growing throughout your home. The sooner you get professional help, the better!
2. Start Drying The Area Right Away- The more you can dry the affected area's before help arrives, the better. Mopping up extra water with towels and rags will help the area dry faster. When drying the area, don't use a vacuum to remove water or use other fans or electrical appliances as they can be potentially dangerous if floor was affected with water.
3. The Damage Can Spread Deeper Than The Surface- Even if you clean up all the standing water, it's likely that more water seeped through the floor and base boards. If this extra water underneath your floor is not taken care of, It can quickly become a bigger problem, leading to mold and damage to the structure of your home.
What NOT To Do If You Experience Fire Damage.
SERVPRO is here to keep you safe after your home experiences fire damage.
As many provide great advice about what to do after experiencing fire damage, Not all provide you with some advice of what NOT to do after fire has affected your home, But luckily, SERVPRO would like to point out some things that you shouldn't do if you are dealing with fire damage.
1. Do Not try and keep any food items, such as canned goods, which were most likely inside the house during the fire. High heat can render them dangerous to consume. They should be thrown out and in some cases, you can itemize the cost to replace them as part of your insurance claim.
2. Do Not deal with fire ash and residue on your own. If you handle this the wrong way, you could damage wall's, ceilings, and other surfaces.
3. If there was heavy smoke, do not try to reuse carpeting or upholstered furniture. They will need to be replaced so as not to cause respiratory problems.
4. Do Not turn on any electrical appliances, including computers, which were in a smoke-filled room before they have been checked out and professionally cleaned. There may be ash and debris inside the components and if you turn them on, you risk damaging them.
5. Do Not enter the home until you have been advised that it is safe to do so. If you aren't given that clearance due to structural integrity concerns, don't go in! At SERVPRO Of East Mission/South Edinburg, your life is worth more than any of your belongings that you are hoping to salvage. Let us handle that for you and get your home restored without putting you in danger