Recent Water Damage Posts
what is the difference between black and gray water?
Call now if you have gray or black water in your home and you’re not sure what it is at 956-631-0348.
Black water is the waste water from bathrooms & toilets that contains fecal matter & urine.
Kitchen and dishwasher water is also considered black water due to contamination by pathogen and grease. It is also known as sewage or brown water and can transmit diseases and bacteria, which can be harmful.
Black water is treated in a particular way. Biological or chemical treatment & disinfections are required to treat black water. There are several accredited treatment systems available for external use, as well.
SERVPRO of McAllen treats these scenarios with the intensity that they are by sending out our highest trailed and skilled technicians to do the clean-up & restoration for you.
When it comes to grey water, that’s going to be your bath and sink water.
This kind of water is clean water believe it or not, its recyclable!
Our technicians once they arrive onsite to the affected home, they would be able to identify to you if your home has been affected by black or gray water!
Call now if you have gray or black water in your home and you’re not sure what it is at 956-631-0348.
water vs flood damages
Keeping even our local ECISD schools safe <3
Would you be shocked, to learn today, that flood damage is not considered a form of water damage? “What?” “How?” or “Why?” are probably all the questions going through your head right now. You’re not alone though.
Homeowners/business owners sometimes don’t know or realize that water damage and flood damage are 2 different kinds of coverages. It’s important to know that if you own a home but do not have flood insurance, you will not be compensated by your insurance company for flood damage.
We’re going to break down some components for you here and explain some causes and key items your insurance WONT cover in the event of either flood or water damage.
Potentially covered by homeowner’s insurance. Affects only your home.
- Common causes:
- appliances, busted/frozen/leaking pipes, bathtub/toilet overflow
- Key items not covered:
- Repair of the source of the leak (i.e. washing machine)
- Flood damage
Potentially covered by flood insurance. Rising water OUTSIDE the home as well. You and your neighbors where effected (2 or more properties)
- Common causes:
- Body of water overflow
- Heavy constant rain
- Key items not covered:
- Outside Property (trees, fences)
Get in contact with your insurance to get a personal breakdown, if you’re facing water damages. They can determine if for your scenario, you’d be covered.
Your floor’s forever companion is in need!
DID YOU KNOW!?
Having your home carpeted is probably one of the best feelings ever! Dealing with damages to it is a different story. The idea of a moist carpet is just awful, and if let alone could lead to mold growth. With that being said if you see the interior of your carpeted home suffer any water damages, it is crucial you seek professional water damage restoration services. (LIKE US!!)
Although not all water damages are severe to where you require outside services. For example, if you spill something small, like a glass of water, or have wet foot prints within the home; here’s a couple of steps you may want to follow:
- Extract the water: this will vary on the amount of water needed to be removed from the carpet. If excess, you may need to use a shop vac.
- Follow-up with an absorbent towel: after removing the excess water, press down with absorbent towels on the carpet. (If at this point you are struggling to remove the excess water its time to consider calling water damage professionals.
- Air dry the carpet: placing fans and dehumidifiers will help circulate the air and assist with the evaporation. (Check back on this process hourly) (if minimal water a hair drier can be used)
NOTE: in the event of a flood, it may be near impossible to salvage both the carpet and the padding underneath it. In these cases, the removal and replacing of both the carpet and padding is recommended.
- Replace the carpet padding: assure that when drying your carpet, not just the top fibers dry. The carpet padding needs to be dried completely or it could lead to mold damage which will speak quickly.
Know that when you contract SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg you are hiring a group professional. Our employees are trained and educated to be able to identify when and if your carpet can be salvaged. They are trained to know what process is necessary to restore everything back to look, “Like it never even happened.” Call us, at 956-585-3433, if you have any severe water damages within your home and your interior belonging where damages.
Basement + Water Damage = ?
Save time and money, skip the traditional way and call SERVPRO. We’ll keep all salvaged items in a stored and safe facility.
What to do when you find water damage in your basement.
First things first. Turn off the power and unplug any electrical appliances. Take some time after this to be able to collect any salvaged items- prioritize your important documents, valuable items and electronics. Throw away anything that can no longer be of us. Note: at SERVPRO we have professionals who can identify whether any of your items are unsalvageable.
Next step, begin to remove water from your basement. You can go the traditional way, by using buckets and towels or choose SERVPRO to help. We use various methods the help you in the most efficient and productive way. From using pumps to bringing in as many dehumidifiers as needed. Note: the faster we begin this process, there is a higher possibility of avoiding mold growth.
Water Mitigation vs Water Extraction
Choose SERVPRO, as your local experts available 24/7 for any home restorations!
Many people may confuse these 2 but the main difference to these 2 are quite simple. To clarify, water mitigation comes after water extraction.
Water extraction take place, first for the following reasons
- Stopping the source of excessive water: we want to identify all safety hazards (check electricity and sockets)
- Draining water: will include disinfection and sanitation if necessary to remove foul odors
- Removing non visible water
- Drying grounds: depending on the severeness of damage we offer different procedures and equipment, for extraction. From pumps to remove water (for carpets as well)
- Dehumidifying the house or specific area
Water mitigation would be a different process in which your personal items within the building are determined unsalvageable, by experts, and removed. This could be like your furniture, flooring and even the drywall. Experts will clean the entire area, at the same time, sanitize it!
SERVPRO Storm Tips
Our employee getting ready to tackle on a job on cite after a heavy storm.
One of the biggest disadvantageous things that can happen to you this summer, is having severe water damage and flooding in your home. From dealing with a broken pipe or a more serious issue, like sewer backup or a flooded basement, they can all lead to bigger complications.
Its import to act fast in the event you are experiencing any water damage. With just a small amount, of water within 24 hours, mold starts forming.
Your first priority is going to be to stop any leakage you have or whatever the source of the problem is. Once you have stopped it from causing any more damage, you may need to contact a professional to start taking the proper water damage restoration steps to repair and restore your home back to normal and prevent additional damage.
Water damage may also result in all sorts of safety hazards and structural problems that you may not even notice until it’s too late. SERVPRO can help in all of these scenarios we work round clock 24/7 to be able to help you and your home “Like it never even happened.” We assure a thorough clean and restore the damage so you may be able to return to your home sweet home!
Raw Sewage after a flood in your Home or Business? We are Here to Help
How Does SERVPRO Deal with Raw Sewage in Flood Situations?
Raw sewage is a particularly distressing side effect of flooding in your home. If you are looking for water companies near you, be sure to choose one like SERVPRO with the experience to handle raw sewage:
- We act quickly because the longer we leave contaminated water, the greater the health risk.
- We equip all our technicians with all the personal protective equipment they need to handle a raw sewage situation. This includes waders, long rubber gloves, aprons, full bodysuits, and ventilators.
- We quickly dispose of all contaminated building materials, rugs, drapes, and furniture, to decontaminate your home.
- We offer full health and safety training to all our staff.
When your home is dry and decontaminated, we deodorize it. We use activated carbon filters, HEPA filters, air scrubbers, and specially formulated pellets to remove odors from your home and leave it "Like it never even happened."
If you are thinking of water companies near you, think of SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg. We are on hand to deal with any flood or contamination situation you may face. Call us at (956) 585-3499.
Water Damage? Here's What to Do.
When water damage occurs, do you know what to do and what not to do?
Water damage can happen at any point for anyone, home or business, resulting in damaged property. These do's are only for clean water and do not’s pertain to sewage water. Sewage water is treated differently since it causes different damage and requires a different cleanup process. With the right tools and pieces of equipment, our professionals can safely dry out your home or business and the contents within it. Here are some things to always keep in mind.
- To minimize the damage, make sure to shut off the source of water and turn off the electricity. It is essential to remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and soaking up with towels. This is especially important for wood furniture.
- To ensure that more damage isn't sustained by the furniture make sure to try and move it, if safe to do so.
- Make sure to NOT enter a room with standing water since there could be a risk of electrical shock.
- Make sure to disconnect all power first.
- It is recommended to NOT leave rugs and furniture upholstery wet against one another because the fabrics have the potential to bleed between each other.
- It is important to note that you should not be utilizing your household vacuum to try and suck up any water.
If these tips are followed, then damage can be minimized and you will be better prepared for help to arrive. Remember to stay safe and get excess water cleaned up professionally to minimize the chance of mold growth. Our Team at SERVPRO of McAllen is ready to assist at a moment's notice with any of your water mitigation emergencies. Give our team a call at 956-631-0348
What To Do And Not To Do When Your Home Floods
When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals respond immediately and use advanced equipment and techniques to remove the water quickly. They closely monitor and document the drying process to verify your property is dried properly and thoroughly.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
When Your Water Heater Breaks, Here Are Some Steps You Can Take!
Broken Water Heater? Follow These Steps!
A broken water heater is a nasty surprise, especially if you’re in the middle of a shower. If yours starts making unusual noises or stops working completely, take these steps immediately to minimize the impact on your home.
Turn off the power supply - For a gas water heater, look for a dial on the top of the thermostat. For an electric water heater, turn the circuit breaker off water heater
Turn off the water supply - Turn the water valve clockwise (“righty tight”) until it stops. It’s very important to turn off the supply of water to the heater. If you can’t turn the valve to the heater, you’ll have to turn off the water supply to the house.
Drain the water heater - Find the drain valve at the bottom of the water tank and attach a hose to it. Run the other end of the hose to a lower area where dirty water can safely drain, such as a basement drain. Open the drain valve, using a screwdriver if necessary.
Open the pressure relief valve - Flip the valve on to keep a vacuum from forming while the water is draining. Caution – the water may be very hot.
Rinse the water heater with cold water - Once the water heater has been completely drained, rinse it with cold water to flush out any remaining sediments.
If your water heater breaks and leaks water everywhere in your home or business in McAllen, TX and surrounding area, call the experts at SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg. Their certified, licensed, and insured professionals are specially trained in water damage restoration. Using non-invasive moisture detection probes and sensors, they will determine the extent of the damage, and then develop a comprehensive water damage restoration plan. From water extraction and drying to repairing drywall and cabinets, they can return your home or business to its preloss condition.
The costs to repair a water heater vary, depending on location and market competition. It is estimated the national average is $509.00.
Tips On Where Mold Hides And What to Look For
At one time or another, virtually every property in the RGV area will have mold. Thankfully there are steps that you can take for mold prevention, however, in the event of an infestation, it is vital that you understand the causes of mold, and the risks if left unremedied. For mold removal in Mission and Edinburg, SERVPRO is available when you need us. Our professional team is experienced in mold remediation and restoration, cleaning up after a fire, flood, and other disasters.
Mold develops and grows in areas of the home that are warm and humid. While bathrooms, basements, crawl spaces, attics, sunrooms, and mud rooms may be on your watch list for mold, here are some other not-so-common areas to watch.
First, in bathrooms, look for mold growth around the tub and shower as this is often the first place for it to develop. It may appear dark green or black in color, and appear first in the caulking and around ceiling and wall joints. However, don’t stop looking there. Under the sink, in the linen closet, and on the walls and ceiling around the exhaust are other areas that are common to develop mold. If there is any mildew-type odor in the air, there is a good chance mold is near. Keep looking, or call in a professional mold testing team for evaluation.
Second, take a look under your kitchen sink, behind the refrigerator, and in the pantry. Kitchens, like bathrooms, are ideal places for mold to grow; they are typically warmer and more humid than other areas of the home. If your refrigerator or dishwasher leaks, or has in the past, the drywall or flooring adjacent to them may be affected by mold. Left unchecked, the drywall, floors, and structural integrity may be compromised. Your local East Mission and South Edinburg SERVPRO knows where to look for mold, and how to remove it.
Third, look for any signs of mold in bedroom closets. These are areas in which there is little air movement; the moisture from the environment as well as from freshly washed clothing can collect and cause mold to develop. Lessen the likelihood of mold growth in your bedrooms, and closets by leaving a window open, at least once per week. In the summer months, run your air conditioning and a dehumidifier to help maintain safe humidity levels.
Lastly, examine any other areas where there has been previous water or flood damage in your home. If you’ve had a leaky roof, flood, broken water pipe, or fire, and your home was not properly restored, those areas should be on the top of your list for quarterly self-inspection. The first sign of mold on walls or ceilings in these areas may appear like spatters or water droplets. They may be soft yellow in color, but will darken and multiply with time. In the early stages, a bleach-based cleanser can remove the mold; however, it is important to understand that if there are other areas of mold in the home, or humidity levels are high, the mold may reappear quickly.
If you or your family are experiencing persistent symptoms similar to seasonal allergies, your home may have mold. For a professional mold removal, call SERVPRO today! We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Water Damage In Your Home? Here Is What To Do
If you have a water damage from a clean source such as water supply lines, sink overflows, tub overflows, or appliance malfunctions, here are some things to do before SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg arrives.
Shut off the source of the water.
Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if the access panel is safe from electrical shock.
Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting
Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items
Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying
Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting
Remove to a safe, dry place any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other materials that are valuable or sensitive to moisture.
Use wooden clothespins to keep furniture skirting off damp floors
- Hang draperies with coated hangers to avoid contact with wet carpeting or floors
We Provide Immediate Attention To Your Water Damage Disaster
Our recovery teams are prepped and ready to respond on a moments notice. We are available 24/7 so don't hesitate and call us right away.
Inspection, Assessment and Remediation of Water Damage in Montgomery
Dealing with property damages is a job for professionals. Haphazard remediation efforts can result in further issues or persistent problems. Our service provides technicians with the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification to ensure they can mitigate losses and repair your home correctly. As a locally owned company, we can offer reduced call out times and a twenty-four-hour contact number for emergencies.
Properties with water damage in the valley require immediate attention. Over time, residual moisture can cause mal-odors or microbial growth in carpets, insulation, and soft furnishings. Failure to attend to these issues can result in permanent problems that may need wholesale replacements. Using SERVPRO can help you to take back control of your property after excess quantities of water enter the home.
The first phase of water restoration is to conduct a thorough inspection. Initially, SERVPRO technicians assess the visible signs of moisture, starting from the source and working outwards. Since water migrates rapidly, we may also need to conduct a more thorough search using a range of detection equipment. This equipment could include thermal imaging cameras, moisture sensors, and thermal hygrometers.
It is not uncommon for SERVPRO to temporarily remove fittings around the home to establish a thorough drying procedure. Carpets, for example, are porous materials and imbibe moisture. Beneath your carpet, the sub floor mat may have broken apart or become saturated. We can remove, dispose, and replace your sub floor mat before returning your dry carpet to its original position.
In some situations, it may be necessary to dry your property overnight. To do this, SERVPRO can deploy dehumidifiers or rapid air movers to establish an airflow within the affected area. Air circulation helps to evaporate residual moisture while dehumidifiers can remove the evaporated moisture from the surrounding air. A procedure like this can help to establish a properly dry area and control microbial growth after water damage.
For a highly trained effort in water damage remediation, contact SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg at (956) 585-3499 today.
How to Prevent Water Damage
Here at SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg, we are water damage specialists, and we compiled a small list on how to prevent water damage from happening often in your home:
- Clean Gutters and Downspouts - Clean your gutters at least twice a year to avoid blockage. Standing water can cause damage to your gutters and roof. Don’t forget to clean downspouts to ensure water can flow through, and secure downspouts so that they point away from the home.
- Know your Water Main - Know the location of your water main and shut it off if you leave for an extended amount of time.
- Check Appliances Regularly - Check and maintain your appliances regularly for leaks according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Investigate Leaks Right Away and Fix Promptly - If you choose to ignore any water damage, or postpone making the necessary repairs, be prepared to experience mold, mildew, dry rot, or even structural damage to your home.
- Upgrade Washing Machine Hoses - Old, brittle or leaky washing machine hoses are among the most frequent causes of water loss for homeowners. Replace yours often throughout the year to avoid expensive damage.
- Check Your Water Pressure - If the water pressure to your home is too high, then your pipes and hoses may fail under the high pressure. Buy a water pressure gauge at a local hardware store, attach it to an outside faucet, and turn the faucet to full force. The gauge will give you a reading of the home’s water pressure. Typical homes water systems are designed for a pressure of 40 – 70 psi. Anything above 70 psi will put your plumbing at risk.
- Monitor Your Water Bill - Sometimes, the only way you know that water is leaking is taking a closer look at your water bill. If your usage jumps significantly from one month to the next, then there is probably a leak somewhere in the home.
If you do unfortunately experience water damage, we are here to help. Call us at (956)585-3499
Why hesitation leads to Mold Growth.
A water loss from a faulty pipe can lead to mold growth if not handled properly.
Perla Chapa- Marketing Support Coordinator
SERVPRO of East Mission/ South Edinburg professionals handle water damages on a daily basis and the most important thing to them is to take action as soon as possible to prevent mold growth.
Mold is likely to spread in an environment that has been subject to moisture for an extended period of time. If your property has sustained recent water damage, it is vital to extract any excess water/moisture and dry out the structure right away.
In an area like ours, down here in the RGV, quick action is especially critical. Since we have a warmer climate, combined with almost 100% humidity pretty frequently, it is crucial that we respond without any hesitation.
Here is a list of things to be on the watch for once you notice that there is moisture present:
- The presence of visible mold,
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
- Stagnant or “stale” air.
Certain conditions may even require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Now, after seeing just how much effort goes into mitigation work, it’s clear to see why these are situations that require special professional attention.
If you have an emergency water loss, don't hesitate to call the Professionals at SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg.
24 hour emergency services
We have seen it all!
This flooded home was caused by a recent storm.
When it comes to water damage, You would be surprised how many big water losses we have come across to like this one! No matter the size of the job, We have the ability to handle any situation calmly, and professionally, and give you the best results in every water job we receive. This home suffered an emergency water loss and our team responded as soon as possible, Once we arrived at the scene, we began services as quick as possible to prevent any further damages. Our Team started off the project with extracting the standing water that was remaining in the customers home. We then proceeded to separate all the salvageable items, and the un-salvageable items in the home. Our Technicians had to remove our customers carpets due to the water being a category 3 Loss. Once we finished the extraction, we began the mitigation process. After the home was dry we the proceeded to the final step, which is repairs to our customers home.
Commercial Water Damage Clean-up
Commercial water damage cleanup by SERVPRO.
Whenever your commercial business experiences a flood, there are many steps that you need to undertake. There's getting the leaking problem fixed, and getting the building cleaned up. Here at SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg, We have the solution to your water damage problem! We specialize in water restoration & clean-up for both commercial to residential buildings.
We understand that keeping your commercial business running efficiently is contingent upon your ability to clean up & continue operation's even If you've had a flooding event. That's why at SERVPRO, We have 24 hour emergency services where we will work throughout the night so no business days will be interrupted. We also complete a full inspection & work to clean & dehumidify any area's affected by the flooding.
It's important to us to take active measures towards commercial water damage clean-up right away because the longer you wait, the more quickly mold & mildew will begin to grow. By calling our SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg team rapidly, You can prevent some of the additional problems that may occur due to water damage.
The best part about working with us at SERVPRO is that we won't just clear away water & leave you to do the rest. We'll create an action plan that includes the restoration of your business so you can get back to your daily routine. Having our professionals by your side will make a big difference in the outcome of your commercial water damage cleanup.
Top 3 Things You Should Know About Water Damage
SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg are experts at water restoration.
Water Damage can be a huge hassle if not handled correctly. A surprise flood or leak, whether big or small, can cause major issues with your walls, flooring, and furniture. SERVPRO Of East Mission/South Edinburg would like to provide you 3 things to keep in mind when facing a water damage situation at home.
1. Don't Wait To Get Help- Its important to get help as quickly as possible once any water has affected your home to prevent any mold to start growing throughout your home. The sooner you get professional help, the better!
2. Start Drying The Area Right Away- The more you can dry the affected area's before help arrives, the better. Mopping up extra water with towels and rags will help the area dry faster. When drying the area, don't use a vacuum to remove water or use other fans or electrical appliances as they can be potentially dangerous if floor was affected with water.
3. The Damage Can Spread Deeper Than The Surface- Even if you clean up all the standing water, it's likely that more water seeped through the floor and base boards. If this extra water underneath your floor is not taken care of, It can quickly become a bigger problem, leading to mold and damage to the structure of your home.