Holiday Fire Facts
The holidays are one of the most wonderful times of the year! Are we right?! There is nothing better than putting up those Holiday lights and having the home feel warm and cozy. Not to be forgotten the rides at night to see all the homes dressed up with holiday lights! No matter what type of decorations we hang up during the holidays, we’re surrounded by electricity! If we aren’t careful, it can be a huge hazard if not used or maintained properly. According to the National Fire Protection Association (www.nfpa.org), Holiday fires caused an average of three deaths, 15 injuries, and $10 million in direct property damage annually. On average, one of every 52 reported home fires that began with a Christmas tree resulted in a death, compared to an average of one death per 135 total reported home fires. SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg wants to help keep you safe during this Holiday season, with the help of the NPFA, we’ve pulled together some safety tips for you to keep in mind! Electrical Fire Safety Tips
- Make sure that there are smoke detectors installed on every floor of the building, inside each room and right outside of every sleeping area to ensure that the alarms can be heard even when sleeping.
- Test smoke detectors monthly to make sure that they’re working properly and have working batteries.
- Have your electrical system inspected by a certified professional to make sure that all of the electrical work meets the National Electric Code safety standards.
- Look and listen for signs of electrical problems such as, flickering or dim lights, buzzing or sizzling sounds from electrical outlets, or insulation and circuit breakers that trip repeatedly. If any of these or any other electrical problems are found, contact a professional as soon as possible for the issue to be inspected.
- Avoid overloading outlets with too many electronics. Consider having more outlets or circuits installed by a professional.
- In homes with children, install tamper-resistant devices to keep children from getting electrical shocks or burns.
- Create an evacuation plan that can be used in the event of a fire.
Our team understands that there is nothing worse than being out of the home for the holidays. We know this time of year is filled with traditions and creating memories. Make sure to follow all the tips we’ve complied together but also if an emergency occurs inside your home or business, know that SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg is ready to help you get back to your holiday traditions!
An Overview of Our Fire Restoration Process
We can make Fire damage "Like it never even happened."
When a fire ignites in a home or business, SERVPRO is prepared to help make the fire “Like it never even happened,” by employing our 7-step fire restoration process. We’ve seen firsthand the effects that fires can have on properties as well as the lives of the people who live or work in them. It is of the utmost importance to us that we help our customers pick up the pieces and return to business as usual as soon as possible. Fires can be accompanied by distress and chaos, but by calling SERVPRO and trusting our thorough, 7-step method for restoring fire damage, you can relax. To learn more about each step of our fire restoration process, keep reading. It begins with your phone call.
- Emergency Contact
All it takes is one phone call to begin fire damage restoration services for your home or business. Make SERVPRO your first call after the fire has been extinguished so that we can design a plan of action tailored to your property’s specific needs. With this information in mind, we will make sure that we arrive on the site quickly, outfitted with the resources and equipment suitable for your home or business.
- Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
Upon arrival, our experienced fire damage team will examine your property in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the scope of the damage. When our team of fire damage experts arrives on the scene, they will survey the extent of the property’s fire damage. Depending on the scope of the fire, smoke, and soot loss, we will craft the most effective restoration plan for your home or business.
- Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Services
As a result of a fire, roofs, windows, and doors can undergo damage, which can compromise other areas of the property, leaving them susceptible to additional damage. Therefore, our team will place boards and tarps overexposed areas in order to further protect your home or business.
- Water Removal and Drying
Water damage can be the product of the process of extinguishing the fire with water. If your property has experienced this type of water damage, our team will make sure to thoroughly remove all of the water present. First, we will tackle standing water. Then, we will use dehumidifiers and air movers to get rid of the remaining water. Both of these actions will guarantee that your home or business will be thoroughly dried.
- Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
After a fire, there is often smoke and soot residue present on various surfaces, such as ceilings and walls. This step in our fire restoration process involves removing all traces of smoke and soot, which we accomplish with our specialized equipment.
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
Following the removal of smoke and soot, our focus is cleaning and sanitizing objects that have survived the fire. For every item that we can salvage, we will use our wide array of cleaning techniques to clean, sanitize, and disinfect them. We will also utilize our fogging equipment and industrial scrubbers to get rid of odors. Above all, we aim to provide your home or business with an exceptional clean.
The culminating step in our fire restoration process is completing any repair work necessary to restore your home or business to its condition before the fire. This work can range from minor repairs to major repairs. Minor repairs often entail anything from installing new carpet to replacing drywall or giving a room a fresh coat of paint. As for major repairs, we may rebuild or restore particular rooms or areas of the home or business that have been significantly damaged. In the end, we will have your property looking as good as new.
In Need of Fire Damage Restoration? We’re Only a Call Away
After a devastating fire, you need a team that you can trust to quickly and efficiently restore your home or business for a speedy return to normalcy. Remember that SERVPRO is ready to help and only one, quick call away. A fire can be stressful, regardless of whether it occurs in your home or your business. Our 7-step fire restoration process will ensure that every aspect of restoring your property is followed through completely. If your home or business has experienced a fire, be sure to call SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg today at (956) 585-3499.
Running Towards the Storm
Have you ever experienced the eerie, strange feeling when you’re coasting down the highway, the sole person driving southbound out of all four lanes, but on the northbound side, you see cars sitting bumper to bumper and wonder, “What did I just miss?”
Here at SERVPRO, that feeling arises often, but we don’t necessarily consider it eerie. It’s just what we do. Floods, hurricanes, wildfires, and natural disasters propel us toward the storm while everyone else is leaving town, and we arrive prepared to get right to work.
Is this easy? Absolutely not. Easy will never be an adjective used to describe our storm response work. However, is it worth it? Yes, in every aspect of the word.
Just last year, we were able to help businesses and homes in the RGV After the Hurricane Hannah storm hit.
Our Vision Statement here at Team SERVPRO is “Restore peace of mind to EVERY customer. EVERY day.” We keep this in mind every day at home, but it takes on a whole new meaning when we’re racing toward storms, getting ready to help people in need. Mother Nature, a force that’s completely out of anyone’s control, has the power to change lives overnight. Our experienced team members are sent to support those affected throughout each step of the restoration process. Every step, whether it’s demolition, drying, rebuild, or even insurance coverage and approvals, brings new challenges. Our job is to be the advocate and facilitator for our customers while they work through a life-altering event and it’s what we love to do.
Raw Sewage after a flood in your Home or Business? We are Here to Help
How Does SERVPRO Deal with Raw Sewage in Flood Situations?
Raw sewage is a particularly distressing side effect of flooding in your home. If you are looking for water companies near you, be sure to choose one like SERVPRO with the experience to handle raw sewage:
- We act quickly because the longer we leave contaminated water, the greater the health risk.
- We equip all our technicians with all the personal protective equipment they need to handle a raw sewage situation. This includes waders, long rubber gloves, aprons, full bodysuits, and ventilators.
- We quickly dispose of all contaminated building materials, rugs, drapes, and furniture, to decontaminate your home.
- We offer full health and safety training to all our staff.
When your home is dry and decontaminated, we deodorize it. We use activated carbon filters, HEPA filters, air scrubbers, and specially formulated pellets to remove odors from your home and leave it "Like it never even happened."
If you are thinking of water companies near you, think of SERVPRO of East Mission/South Edinburg. We are on hand to deal with any flood or contamination situation you may face. Call us at (956) 585-3499.
Business and Personal Preparedness
Business Preparedness: why and how you should prepare; and personal preparedness: how to pack your Go Bag and sheltering in place.
Up to 50% of businesses never reopen after being affected by a natural or human-made disaster. Despite this statistic, 62% of businesses don’t have an emergency plan in place! Your customers expect delivery of their products or services on time, regardless of your situation. And larger businesses want to insure that their supply chain is not interrupted by a disaster either. Insurance is only a partial solution. It does not cover all losses and it will NOT replace customers. News travels fast and perceptions often differ from reality. It is up to you to plan now for a disaster to avoid some of these pitfalls. Many risks cannot be insured, but some risks can be reduced by investing in loss prevention programs, protection systems, and equipment.
According to FEMA’s Business Program Management,” A preparedness policy that is consistent with the mission and vision of the business should be written and disseminated by management. The policy should define roles and responsibilities. It should authorize selected employees to develop the program and keep it current. The policy should also define the goals and objectives of the program. Typical goals of the preparedness program include:
- Protect the safety of employees, visitors, contractors and others at risk from hazards at the facility. Plan for persons with disabilities and functional needs.
- Maintain customer service by minimizing interruptions or disruptions of business operations
- Protect facilities, physical assets and electronic information
- Prevent environmental contamination
- Protect the organization’s brand, image and reputation
Water Damage? Here's What to Do.
When water damage occurs, do you know what to do and what not to do?
Water damage can happen at any point for anyone, home or business, resulting in damaged property. These do's are only for clean water and do not’s pertain to sewage water. Sewage water is treated differently since it causes different damage and requires a different cleanup process. With the right tools and pieces of equipment, our professionals can safely dry out your home or business and the contents within it. Here are some things to always keep in mind.
- To minimize the damage, make sure to shut off the source of water and turn off the electricity. It is essential to remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and soaking up with towels. This is especially important for wood furniture.
- To ensure that more damage isn't sustained by the furniture make sure to try and move it, if safe to do so.
- Make sure to NOT enter a room with standing water since there could be a risk of electrical shock.
- Make sure to disconnect all power first.
- It is recommended to NOT leave rugs and furniture upholstery wet against one another because the fabrics have the potential to bleed between each other.
- It is important to note that you should not be utilizing your household vacuum to try and suck up any water.
If these tips are followed, then damage can be minimized and you will be better prepared for help to arrive. Remember to stay safe and get excess water cleaned up professionally to minimize the chance of mold growth. Our Team at SERVPRO of McAllen is ready to assist at a moment's notice with any of your water mitigation emergencies. Give our team a call at 956-631-0348
How We Restore Fire Damaged Belongings
SERVPRO Before and After Fire Restoration Services
When mother nature strikes on your home, ensuring the safety of your personal belongings is always a priority in the remediation process after the damage has been done. Here is some basic knowledge on what items and areas can be saved in a fire.
Doorways and windows
When the remediation process begins, these areas are typically the most simple to restore because all that is needed is a dry sponge and some patented SERVPRO cleaning detergent to remove any soot or stains that may have been made.
House hold items such as tables or silverware
This is very similar to the previous section in that these items are easy to restore. With needing SERVPRO cleaning detergent and a dry cloth to wipe off any soot
What To Do And Not To Do When Your Home Floods
When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals respond immediately and use advanced equipment and techniques to remove the water quickly. They closely monitor and document the drying process to verify your property is dried properly and thoroughly.
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Quotes From Real SERVPRO Of East Mission & South Edinburg Customers
Always Here to Help!
Dealing with any kind of property damage is extremely stressful, especially when mold is involved. At SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg we understand just how difficult every job we arrive at can be for our customers, so we strive to make the process as easy and stress free as possible. Our number one goal is to please our customers, no matter what the job is. Here are some quotes from real customers about the service they received from SERVPRO:
"SERVPRO were professional, timely, and met all our expectations. I have been involved with 8 church projects for construction, repair, and cleanup. SERVPRO was the best."
"I found SERVPRO to be an excellent company when we discovered some recent water damage and needed some mold remediation. They were very thorough and efficient in their work, and they kept me informed of what they were doing and the progress of the project. Shannon was great to work with and I would strongly recommend him and his company."
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg has been working hard for years to provide the best service we can and will continue to put our very best foot forward. If you are in need of any of our services, call us at (956) 585-3433 ! We can make you losses seem "Like it never even happened".
A COVID-19 Defensive Cleaning Program - Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Sticker Placed On Local Business
SERVPRO of East Mission and South Edinburg is here to help get you back to business!
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and healthy is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new, higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the bio-storm of COVID-19. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.